Chapter 31

Xiao Zhan's POV

Because Yibo stopped the blow, "that's enough mother." His voice was so cold that it made me shiver a little, "you can hurt me as much as you want, but I will not let you hurt my friends." We all watched in anticipation as Yibo stood tall and straight.

"For so long, I have done nothing but treat you with respect! I know you did a lot by raising me all by yourself, but can't you see I've been trying to repay that!? Is it so hard for you to just treat me like a son instead of a blank?!" Yibo was pouring his feeling before shaking his head sadly.

"I'm done, mother," Yibo said, his voice sharper than a knife.

"What do you mean 'done'? You still have acting contracts!"

"I mean, I am done with you, I will no longer take any orders or demands from you, and there is nothing you can do or say that will change my mind, goodbye mother," Yibo said, turning his back to her, but she isn't done yet.

"This is your friends' fault! They poisoned you against me, didn't they!?" Yibo met my eyes fondly this time, wrapping his hand around mine, my heart jumped a little at the sudden gesture.

"No, they made me realize what's truly important in my life." Yibo smile was so carefree that it made my heart stop for a moment, I had never seen that expression on his face before.

"Ready to go home, Zhan?" His eyes twinkled like stars before I responded, "yes, let's go home." Yibo and I walked hand in hand to Haoxuan's car.

We sat in the back in silence, but Yibo never let go of my hand, I studied his face curiously as he looked out of the window.

He looked so carefree and full of hope for a new future, how many days left before my real death . . . ?

I suddenly felt my heartache, I know I am not supposed to feel happy for him, but . . . 

Why . . . Am I jealous of Yibo . . . ? What is happening to me?!

***

I smiled happily as I set a big plate of spaghetti meatballs on the table.

"Alright! Everything looks perfect!" I turned around to see how Yibo and Haoxuan were doing.

"Hey, what plate should I use for garlic bread?" I faced my focus to Haoxuan, "oh! I already put them on the counter there."

"Is this too salty . . . ?" Yibo looked confused as he stirred a pot of mushroom soup, I took a spoon to test it.

"Mmm . . . It's good! You did such a great job, Yibo!" He smiled, "really? Let me try." It seemed like Yibo wanted me to feed him, so I shyly lifted a spoonful of soup for him.

Yibo gently seated it and his face broke into a smile, "you're right, it does taste good."

"Hehe, I guess you can cook after all." I grinned at Yibo who responded, "it's still your recipe, I'm only following your orders."

"But a great job still deserves praises." He smiled silly, and I was happy to see him happy, it made my heart skip a full beat somehow.

"Hey, what about me?! I didn't burn these, at least." We both turned to Haoxuan who held up the garlic bread.

"You mean you didn't burn them the second time, right?" Yibo said, pointing to the garlic bread.

"No garlic bread for you, Yibo." Their usual banter brightened my day, I found myself laughing, it felt . . . Really nice.

"Haha~ Stop it, you two, you both did a great job helping me today."

"No way! There can only be one winner," Haoxuan said.

"Yeah, who did better in the kitchen today?" Yibo filled in.

"It's not a competition, guys . . ." Luckily, the doorbell rang before they could argue more.

I opened the door to see Lily's friendly smile, "sorry, I couldn't come earlier to help." I nodded, "it's okay, I have enough helpers, what's that you've got there?"

"Ahh . . .  Well, I got a gift for you." My eyes widened when I saw the logo of the box.

"Oh my gosh! Are these from the café we went to?" She smiled, "you didn't get to enjoy them to the fullest last time." I hugged the box to my chest happily.

"Thank you so much, Lily, you really are the best guardian angel!" Lily's smile became so gentle that it seemed so familiar, I felt like she wanted to say something, but her focus shifted to someone behind me.

"Finally you're here, we've been waiting for you!" Yibo said, "yeah! You were supposed to help us in the kitchen," Haoxuan continued.

"Sorry, I got held up with work." Lily gave a small cheeky grin.

"She got us macaroons instead, it's perfect for dessert." Haoxuan raised an eyebrow, "Not good enough, Lily gets the cleanup duty!"

She pouted before responding, "haha~ I wholeheartedly accept the punishment." We all laughed together at Lily's resigned answer.

"Enough chit chat, guys, the food is going to get cold!" 

In a few minutes, we were all sitting at the dining table, laden with lots of delicious food, "whoa . . .  Did you make all this, Zhan?"

I scratched my nape, "well, not all by myself, Yibo and Haoxuan helped me a lot."

"I'm surprised the kitchen didn't burn down." I laughed, "well then, let's dig into our own hard work."

"Wait, I think we should make a toast, this is the first time we have gotten to sit down like this together," Yibo said, raising his glass of wine with a smile.

"What are we toasting to?" I looked at Yibo, "I would like to toast to the many things we've  been through together, the accident e survived together."

"The teddy bear you all helped me to find." I met eyes with Lily when Haoxuan said that, raising a glass in her direction.

"Lily is finally back home." Lily raised ger glass too at my words, giving me a warm smile that reached her eyes, "And a new addition to our little family," Lily said.

"Let's cheer for more adventures!" Haoxuan said, and Yibo took it over, "and may we never lose contact again." Lily and I share a quick sad smile at those words, but we also hide them immediately.

We all clinked our glasses.

"CHEERS!"

Word count: 1092 words