Chapter 8

Xiao Zhan's POV

The ray of sunlight that escaped through the little ajar of my window blinded me and forced me to wake up.

I got a little heart attack as soon as I opened my eyes, Yibo was peacefully sleeping next to me. I started to blush when I realized how close our bodies were, the scenario of yesterday played inside my head like a movie while I studied his sleeping features.

He looked a lot younger when he was unguarded like this, but the dark circles and lines under his eyes worried me a little, he did look like he was stressed out most of the time. I stayed on the bed just a little longer to watch him.

I felt butterflies when I realized his arm was still around my waist, when he finally woke up, I shut my eyes tightly to pretend like I was sleeping, I could hear a chuckle escape his lips and slowly looked through my long eyelashes, peeking.

"You really need to perfect your acting," I fully opened my eyes only to see his teasing smile that made my stomach coil with thousands of different feelings, as if I was in a rollercoaster that was only going up.

"How could you tell I was pretending?"

"Your eyes might be closed, but they're still moving, your face isn't relaxed either." Wow, he was sharp-eyed.

"Is that an acting method or can you not keep your eyes off me?" I teased back, Yibo took a moment to think, studying my face before answering casually, "why not a bit of both? You're still quite a mystery to me, just when I thought I had you figured out, you end up surprising me in another way."

"I've done that much in such a short time?" I raised an eyebrow while pointing at myself.

"Well, I haven't spent much time with anyone," he laughed embarrassedly while a hand was rubbing his neck.

"That's strange to me, you're such a famous actor, after all!"

"Sometimes fame isn't as pleasant as people think it would be," his entire demeanour turned melancholic, I reached out to touch his face, for some reason I couldn't watch him stand all this pain.

My palm gently caressed his soft cheeks, his hand caught mine, and he does his best to smile despite those sad eyes, "thank you for caring, but I will be fine."

"It still won't stop me from worrying about you," his eyes slightly widened at my words, and I suddenly realized my words.

"You're worried about . . . me?" His eyes bored into mine as I quickly sat up, suddenly feeling nervous.

"W-Well . . . You were worried about me last night, so I'm just repaying that, don't overthink,"I tried to sound as nonchalant as I could, averting his burning gaze, but somehow I could sense his smile.

"You really are a mystery . . ."

"What makes you say that?"

"Because I get this feeling that you're not being honest with who you are, it's like you're playing a role in front of me, and you're not very good at it," he added the last few words teasingly, and I lightly punched his arm.

"You threaten me one minute and then second guess if you should do it again, you act tough one moment and then fall into my arms crying next, you try to look menacing when you have such a pretty bunny smile, so who are you really, mysterious boy?" I was surprised he observed me that closely and told me the things that others hadn't noticed in years, and I took a moment to think of a fitting answer, but all I could do was smiling sadly, looking out of the window.

"Even now I am still trying to figure it out . . ." He gently patted my head, I looked up at him in surprise and all he said was," then we're on the same boat." And once again, he caught me off guard, I gripped the sheets and tried my best to look away, but our eyes stayed on each other, I could feel us getting closer and . . .