Chapter 32

X POV

Days are passing like years, watching you smile is like watching the spring blossoming again, smile as long as you can and I will never regret the pact I made . . .

***

Xiao Zhan's POV

The next hour, we fell into a lively chatter and recalled our adventures so far, this almost felt like a dream that I didn't want to wake up from.

I wish this feeling of happiness could last forever, but there's always a small voice that keeps reminding me that all good things must come to an end . . . 

***

"Okay! Now I am ready!" I turned around to admire my pretty oversized hoodie.

"Wow, it looks really cute on you!" I put my hands on my hips, "what did I tell you about knocking, Lily?"

She laughed, "Sorry, a force of habit." I pouted.

"I'll let it slide today since I'm in a good mood." She raised her eyebrow at that, "oh, really? What's gotten you in such a good mood, are you going on a date?"

"Why yes, I am going out on a date." Lily's eyes widened, "wait . . . Really!? With who!?" I giggled at her startled expression, "I'm just going on a date with myself, silly."

She smiled, shaking her head while I tilted my head in curiosity, "where are you going? I know a good number of places you can go sightseeing!"

"Thanks, but I already decided where I am going today, I'm thinking of visiting the orphanage and the area I grew up in." Suddenly Lily's happy expression completely changed, even though her friendly smile stayed, I could sense something dark in her narrowed eyes.

"Why would you ever want to go back to such a place, these places gave you so many bitter memories! Don't you want to forget about them?" I was taken aback by Lily's sharp tone, but she blinked back, rubbing her cheek awkwardly.

"S-Sorry, I don't know what came over me." I looked at Lily, "I know it hurts, I can still remember all the bad things that happened to me."

"Then why do you want to go." Lily plead in such a broken manner, I touched her cheek gently, "that bitterness made me who I am today, all that hurts is the reason I am stronger today. I'm visiting these places so I can say goodbye and be at peace, only then can I leave with no regrets." For the first time, my voice is clear without a single shred of doubt.

Lily is completely stunned by my words, looking deeply into my eyes, "Lily, are you okay?" Lily only nodded quietly, her voice dropping to a whisper.

"Am I being too selfish if I want to tag along?" My eyes widen in surprise at the sudden request, but I still smile happily, grabbing hold of her hand, "not at all, I would love some company.

***

We arrived at the orphanage, Lily hadn't spoken much since we left home, I wonder what's gotten into her.

A familiar face greeted me when I rang the doorbell, "is that you Zhan? My goodness, you grew up so handsomely." I blushed at her compliment, ignoring Lily's teasing eyes.

I realized that she didn't saw Lily standing next to me, "what brings you here, dear?"

"Oh, I just wanted to pay a visit since I haven't been here in a long time." She smiled, "aww . . . That's sweet of you, come on in." I walk into the orphanage with Lily in tow.