Prologue

"How's he doing?" The blonde asked nervously.

"Babe, for the last time he's fine. I promise to tell you if there is an improvement."

"Okay, I'm sorry." She said, making Derek scoff.

"You worry too much, baby. You'll be back here before you know it."

The blonde glanced at the sleeping child in the backseat and smiled. "Have you-"

"And yes, I've eaten. Mel made sure I did."

"I was gonna ask if you've slept, you sound tired."

"Oh, well no, I haven't. I can't really sleep unless you're here, it's worse now since we had to reschedule our wedding again."

The blonde winced at the memory. "I told you not to worry about that, you had to take care of your dad."

"Yeah, but I feel bad."

"Lio, stop." She warned.

"Okay, fine. How's the little one?"

"He's fine, he's actually sleeping right now which is something you should be doing."

"But Dahlia-"

"It's like you said, Calliope. I'll be there before you know it, now please get some rest."

"Fine, I'll see you soon." Lio said, fighting back a smile. "See you soon, love." Dahlia said, ending the call after exchanging an 'I love you'. "Mom?"

"Yes, sweetie?" Dahlia responded, facing the child.

"Are we almost there?" He asked, fixing Derek's leather jacket that he was using as a blanket around him. "We'll be there in a few minutes." Derek said.

The boy yawned and pet the sleeping orange cat next to him. "Okay." He said, closing his eyes again.

"She still sad about the rescheduling?" Derek asked quietly. "Yeah, but you know how important her dad is. He's the only family she has left." She sighed.

"We're here." Her nephew said after a brief silence.