Chapter 42 **A new year

New Years Eve Kelsie woke up early, feeling refreshed. She guessed that Darren was happy with Tiffany after all because, for once, he didn't call. Scott was still sleeping soundly, so Kelsie decided to treat him to breakfast.

When Scott woke up an hour later he found Kelsie in the kitchen, in a night shirt, dancing....to New Kids On The Block.

"Oh God Kelsie!!!" He exclaimed, "not the New Kids!!"

"Don't make fun!" Kelsie said with a grin, "I like the New Kids. I'm making you pancakes. Sit down."

Scott did as he was told and then watched as Kelsie flipped a pile of tiny pancakes off of a griddle and onto a plate.

"They're so little." He said as she sat the plate in front of him.

"They're silver dollar pancakes." Kelsie said with a smile as she sat butter and syrup on the bar. "It's a secret family recipe."

Scott was still trying to figure out what would be secret about making little pancakes when Kelsie turned off the griddle and brought over the platter.

"Umm Kels?" Scott ask looking at the heaping platter, "are you really hungry, or are we having company?"

"It's mom's recipe." Kelsie said laughing. "I didn't know how to make less without messing it up." Then Kelsie picked up a tiny pancake and began to munch on it like a cookie.

"You don't use syrup?" Scott ask, as he finished buttering his pancakes. "Or, a fork?"

"Nope." Kelsie said with a grin. "Don't need it with Momma's pancakes."

Then Scott took the first bite and realized what she meant. The pancakes were sweet without syrup.

Scott and Kelsie ate and talked and then he helped clean up. When they had finished cleaning up, Scott got ready to head home. He was off that day and decided he needed to spend some time with his aunt. Kelsie agreed completely since she felt guilty for keeping him from his family anyway.

Right before Scott left he kissed Kelsie softly and then, looking at her with weary eyes said, "Darren called last night."

"Oh damn!" Kelsie said. "I was hoping he didn't. Did you hang up on him?"

"No". Scott said. "He said he wanted to apologize. I told him he could do it another time. You were asleep. Then I told him to leave you alone. I might have threatened him a little." Scott looked so worried about Kelsie's reaction, that she kissed him to calm him down.

"Well. Let's hope it works." She said kissing him again. "I love you Scott!"

"Iloveyoutoo" he said, and then he was gone.

Kelsie didn't have to be at work until three, so she cleaned house and did laundry and all the random stuff she had put off all week. Around one, Eric came to visit.

"Hey Baby Girl!!" He said hugging her as he came in. "You got a minute?"

"I've got two hours before work!" Kelsie grinned. "What's up?"

"Darren called me this morning." Eric began. "He wanted to know what I knew about Scott Bruner."

Kelsie rolled her eyes. "How is Scott any of his business?" She ask.

"Well". Eric said slowly, " Darren says that Scott threatened to beat him up if he didn't stop trying to get you back. Now, from what I've seen of the dude, I'm betting it's more about Darren upsetting you, but still. Darren's pretty shook up."

"He should be." Kelsie said quietly. "I've seen Scott fight. It's scary."

"Yeah I've seen him too." Eric said with a grin. "I told Darren I wouldn't want to fight the dude and we all know I can kick Darren's ass. Darren's pretty scared. I think he'll back off for a while."