20

Dedicated to - I-imagine-dragons

"Why do you care?"

The simple three words that kept repeating inside my head, I knew there was more to that than the reply I gave him, only to find a small smile creep upon his lips which tugged to a smirk when he noticed that I saw.

After that three words which sent my mind into deep thoughts, I simply answered him with a-  you are my friend Nathan, I care for my friends and averted my gaze from him, the car ignited under my touch and we drove back to school, dropped Nathan off as he wanted to take his car back home and aimlessly drove to my house.

Overthinking was one of my many best qualities.

A simple question, that was what all it was but why did my answer taste bitter than the coffee I consumed? I took the brown bag that Nathan gave me and peeked at it.

There was one chocolate donut and a glazed donut inside of it with a small note which read, Thank you! And my heart skipped an involuntary beat at the words.

I ignored my inner voice's scream, arguing that Nathan indeed knows about my favorite's, which was twice in a row, first, he got my coffee order right, and then it was my favorite donut orders, I mean, what he was playing at?

I got out of my car and walked home, mom was busy making dinner, with a swift kiss on her cheeks, I announced about my pending homework and walked to my room.

I placed the books and the brown paper bag on the bed and went inside the washroom to freshen up, pushing my internal screaming and assumptions about Nathan aside, by yelling I've judged him too much in the past and don't want to the same mistake twice at my inner voice.

I spent the rest of the day munching on my donuts and completing assignments over assignments when it was time for dinner.

We had Cole join us over without notice, he ended up eating most of my share, stating that it's compensation for my friendship with Nathan but he seemed neutral about the whole Nathan thing.

Cole left after dinner, excusing himself that he has a few assignments himself. I finished the rest of my papers and spoke to Liz and Aiden simultaneously over the phone about the day.

Liz was enjoying her stay with her grandmother and grams is recovering quickly, the news sent a wave of giddiness on me, which meant Liz would return soon but it's selfish to voice that thought out so I asked her to take care of herself and grams for the meantime before hanging up.

Speaking to Aiden overcall was another bliss I was blessed with these days, he was busy at the dorm with never-ending piles of work but he spoke to me every night, making up for the lost interaction time during the start of our relationship.

When we spoke, he never missed to make my heart flutter a little harder or my blush to creep a shade darker with his talks and the fact that he was very well aware of the outcome over the phone scared me, he knew more about me than I knew about him.