Chapter 11 - [Veritaserum]

Scotland, Hogwarts: April 1944

The rest of the holidays went by quickly.

With the help of Wimly, Maélys soon finished the gardens and parks of the d'Avaugour estate.

Pleased with her work, she'd even invited Louisa over for a few nights. Her friend had been thrilled to see the manor and had not been disappointed.

"Wow! This is amazing. The house looks like it's newly built and not at all like you described," she complimented her.

"Now, come on! I want to see every room in this house."

The small parties they were invited to were as superficial and boring as the first one. Conversations were either shallow or about Grindelwald who apparently moved closer to Britain every day.

So, the two girls had kept to themselves and instead emptied the wine bar.

Now, they were already back at Hogwarts and sat in the Slytherin common-room, talking about their plans for the summer holidays.

"I've never been to France," admitted Louisa.

"We could visit it when Grindelwald has been defeated," Maélys suggested.

"Then let's hope that happens soon," sighed Louisa.

"Well, in the mean-time, we can still go to Spain. I heard that it's magical community is one of the most fascinating, apart from the chinese one."

"Oh China, my dad went there once on a business trip for the Ministry and took me with him. I was very little so I don't remember a lot, but what I do is absolutely amazing."

Maélys smiled. She'd been a few times to Asia and everytime she'd found something so captivating and stunning that she never wanted to leave. But there was an old German saying, that the best time to leave was when you're having the most fun.

The girl turned her head just when the door to the room and Tom Riddle walked in, followed by his friends, if one could call them that.

"Miss d'Avaugour," Riddle said as stopped in front of her couch. He acknowledged Louisa with a curt nod and turned back to her.

"I would like to start with our potions project as soon as poss-"

"Fantastic idea, Mister Riddle" Maélys interrupted him. "Does tomorrow after Transfiguration class work for you? In the libary?"

The boy inhaled sharply.

"Yes, Miss. That works perfectly fine," he said and before he could say anything else, she turned back to her friend as if he didn't still stand next to her.

Gnashing his teeth, he moved to where his peers sat by another couch by the fire. But for the rest of the evening, until the two girls moved to their dormitory he watched her.

Never letting her out of his sight.

***

The next day, Tom waited for her in the library. She was late. Impatient, he sat down at his usual table by the window and waited.

He already wanted to get up and leave when she finally appeared. And behind her flew a huge pile of books.

The boy closed his mouth which he had opened to tell her how rude it was to let him wait.

"So, Mister Riddle, while you were so nicely sitting in that chair, I already got to work and looked for the books we'll need to brew that potion," she said as the pile sat gently down on the table.