Chapter 14 - [Friends and Family]

Scotland, Hogwarts: May 1944

Maélys walked, lost in thought, down the long corridors of the library until she stopped in front of a large window. She was very close to the forbidden section and sat on the deep window sill. As therays of the sun warmed her face through the glass, she smiled.

The girl closed her eyes. It was still so early that she was alone in the library. Not even the librarian was already behind her desk. Maélys was completely alone, and sheenjoyed the silence.

She could hear the birds chirping softly from the forbidden forest. The grass was still wet with dew. Nobody disturbed the calming silence.

But even the calm had to be interrupted at some point. At first, there were only soft steps and a muffled babble of voices, but slowly more people came and filled the tables of the library. And so, the girl decided to look for another quiet corner.

Maélys strolled through the school without paying attention to her way until an angry hiss made her prick up her ears. She could clearly hear the voices of the five girls and didn't want to let the four girls spoil her peaceful morning.

She was almost out of earshot, but suddenly she heard a slapping noise. One of the girls must've hit hit another girl who groaned in pain.

"Please stop," a girl whimpered.

The girl took a hissing breath as she was slapped on the cheek once more.

Maélys was about to turn and walk away when she remembered her sister's words.

Women always have to stick together.

Sighing, she made her way to where the voices came from. When she turned the corner, she found a girl on the floor, leaning against a wall. There was nothing to be seen of the other students.

The girl cried as she sat like a pile of misery on the cold stone and covered her left cheek with one hand. Her blonde hair fell on her face and Maélys could smell blood. Carefully she walked up to her and knelt in front of her.

She didn't know what to say now and there was silence, but it was broken by the sobs of the other girl in Ravenclaw uniform.

The Slytherin carefully reached out a hand to the Ravenclaw and placed it on the burning cheek. The girl winced at the touch and looked at her frightened.

Maélys carefully took the girl's hand from her cheek and saw the wound. She could see the handprint clearly. A sharp fingernail had also torn the skin and a few drops of blood kept coming out.

"Asinta Mulaf Hinto, Sho Bala", she whispered and the girl in front of her breathes out in relief.

She should no longer feel the pain in her cheek. With a small movement of the hand, the wounds closed on the spot and the print gradually faded.

Slowly the Ravenclaw's tears dried up and her sobs grew quieter until they stopped.

Maélys smiled carefully at the girl and helped her straighten up. She was about to turn around and leave when a trembling voice stopped her:

"Wait", The Ravenclaw said quietly, "Thank you for helping me."

Maélys turned back and gave her a friendly smile. "No problem"

"My name is Celeste", she introduced herself.

"I'm Maélys. Nice to meet you," Maélys answered, taking a few steps towards the other girl.

"Why didn't you fight back?", the Slytherin asked.

Celeste's smile faded and she looked at the floor in shame. It took a while for her to reply: