Chapter 4 - [The Duel]

Scotland, Hogwarts 1943

The handsome young man couldn't stop thinking about the new girl since she beat him at their chess game.

In a rage, he'd watched her leave calmly the common room. No student had laughed at his defeat, but he felt their eyes on his back as he'd rushed out of the room.

The Slytherin had stomped angrily through the corridors of Hogwarts and wanted to bewitch every student he came across.

He would not let this shame sit on him, he had sworn to himself.

And he already knew how to put her in her place.

***

"Good morning, students", Professor Merrythought greeted her seventh-years the next morning, "As you all know, at the end of the next year you will be writing your NEWTs. The Defense Against the Dark Arts exam is divided into two parts. For the first you'll have to write and the second consists of a practical task."

She smiled happily at her students.

"Often this second task consists of a duel that you will have with one of the examiners. So I will prepare you for it during the next year."

Some students started whispering excitedly.

"We already dealt with the theory of duelling last lesson. I've prepared a tournament for today's double lesson so I can see how advanced you are. So, go ahead, pair up!"

The black-haired boy approached the new student determinedly, but before he got there, Abraxas Malfoy got ahead of him.

"Well, you all know the rules! No permanent or harmful charms, disable your opponent! In the first round, all of you will duel at the same time. Ready? Three, two, one, go!"

The Slytherin had beaten his opponent, a Ravenclaw girl, with a quick "Expelliarmus" just in time to watch the new girl disarm Malfoy and win their little duel.

With a small smile, she gave the wand back to its owner.

"So, let's see who's still left?", the professor said, "Mister Riddle, no surprise there, Mister Avery, very good, Miss Bones, Miss Prince, Mister Finnigan and Miss – oh dearie, what was your name again?"

"Maélys d'Avaugour"

"And Miss d'Avaugour! All right", she clapped in her hands, "Miss Bones and Mister Avery, you go first."

It was a short duel. Avery's second spell hit Bones in her chest and she let go of her wand, clutching her hands above her heart.

Professor Merrythought quickly cast a "Finite Incantatum" and rushed to the Hufflepuff girl.

"Ten points from Slytherin, Mister Avery. I said no harmful charms. You're disqualified. And Miss Bones, why don't you go to the Infirmary and see what harm has been done. Miss Greengrass, would you be so kind to accompany her?"

The boy scowled.

"Next up, Mister Riddle and Miss Prince."

His opponent had a fearful look in her eyes and was slightly shaking as she stepped onto the platform.

The Slytherin boy took his time with the girl. First a weak "Petrificus Totalos", that wore off after a few seconds and then a "Tarantallegra" which she was able to divert. He then chose to a few spells that emitted green light.

When the girl looked like she'd faint from fright, he grew tired of his game. He cast a "Stupefy" and it was over.

"Wonderful, Mister Riddle! Now, Mister Finnigan and Miss d'Avaugour."

They took their places and bowed. The head boy watched closely as they duelled. And his astonishment he noticed that she held back, simply blocking or avoiding any spell thrown her way.

Just as him, she quickly grew tired and finished her opponent off with a simple body-binding spell.

"Impressive, Miss d'Avaugour!", Professor Merrythought said cheerfully, "Well, it seems like we only have two students left to duel. Mister Riddle, Miss d'Avaugour, begin when you're ready!"

The boy stepped onto the platform and stopped in front of her. They both bowed and took their places.

"One, two, three!", called the professor.

The boy instantly shot a spell at his opponent who dodged it easily while casting a spell of her own.

For a moment he was caught off guard. But he managed to recognize the "Longlock" by the movement of her wand.

She's using non-verbal magic, he cursed mentally. His non-verbal spells were not powerful yet.

The room became nearly silent except when he cast a spell.

He cursed her again. That girl had managed to embarrass him a second time in front of a crowd.

After blocking several of her spells, he summoned her wand successfully.

Or did she drop it on purpose?, he asked himself with his eyes wide open.

She was now seemingly defenceless, but he and the other students watched in shock as she lifted her arms and started muttering an unknown spell.

"Morator"

The spell hit him in the chest. He looked at her, not knowing what the spell does. She was already preparing herself for the next spell and he immediately moved into a defensive position.

Why do I move so slow?

He looked at her and saw that she was moving faster than normal.

No, she didn't move faster, he was just slower. Her spell has decelerated his movements.

He tried to cast a "Finite Incantatum", but he was too slow.

"Phasmatos Motus Robix", the blonde girl chanted loudly.

With contempt, he had to watch as a ball of raw magic formed between her hands and was released.

Again, this unfamiliar spell hit him in the chest and he felt like he lost control over his own body

Smiling, the girl waved with her hand and he started walking towards her. He tried to gain the control back but was powerless against her strong grip.

The black-haired boy stopped in front of her and with a second movement of her arm, he stretched his hands toward her.

Winking, she took both her and his wand from his hands.

"Thank you very much", she said, releasing him from her grip with another non-verbal spell.

"Thank you, you two", Professor Merrythought said, who had - like the rest of the students – no idea what just happened, "Now, students, get back to your seats. We're going to talk about the duels and see who still has to work on his techniques. Chop, chop!"

The boy and the new girl were still standing on the platform while the others scurried to their seats.

Still smiling, the blonde held out her hand with his wand.

Seething, he ripped it from her.

His revenge had not gone according to plan. He'd wanted to dominate her in this duel and put her into her place.

Instead, she'd embarrassed him a second time.

***