Chapter 3 - [Chess]

Scotland, Hogwarts 1943

A small group of spectators had formed around the seating areas in the Slytherin common room when Maélys entered. Between the students she could see the charming prefect sitting on one of the couches. A classmate had taken a seat across from him and there was a chessboard on the small table between them.

The new student was just walking past the crowd when one of the two players said "check mate" and the bystanders began to applaud.

"Miss d'Avaugour," called a voice from the crowd. It belonged to Abraxas Malfoy.

Maélys stopped and turned around with a friendly smile: "Yes, Mister Malfoy?"

"Am I correct in saying that you know how to play wizard chess?"

"You are."

"Well, if you are interested in a game you can play with our prefect. Although I have to warn you that he has never lost a game. Would you be ready for this challenge?", he asked with a sly grin.

The girl said nothing for a moment and looked over at the chessboard before answering: "Why not. I haven't played in a long time and I can't refuse such a lovely offer."

So she went back to the sofas and sat down on the seat where the beaten student had previously been sitting.

"Is that okay with you? Are you ready for this challenge, Mister?", she asked as she arranged the chess pieces.

"You have no idea," the black-haired young man grinned across from her. He was confident because he hadn't lost a game of chess since childhood. Chess was his forte.

"Then let's start the game," announced the witch.

"Knight to E4."

The girl was allowed to make the first move and so the game began.

It has been hours since the two of them sat down and started. Their game was truly a feast for the eyes. Their brains ran like a clockwork, always planning one step against their opponent. The stalls between moves were like forever to the spectators.

Both of the players would stop and look at the pieces for what seemed like hours, when a move was finally made, the other would take a turn at the deep seeded concentration.

It was now down to the last pieces. The boy's queen threatened the girl's knight, but her bishop threatened his queen. It was all too complicated when the boy saw it. He saw the move that would put his opponent's king in check mate.

Just one move and he would win.

"Care to make this game a little more interesting?", he asked overconfidently.

Maélys looked up at him and raised an eyebrow.

"You see, Slytherins never play just for fun. We play for leverage," he paused before continuing: "I propose a wager."

"And what do you have in mind?", she said with mild interest. She could work his arrogance to her advantage.

"Well, if I win, I can have one wish that you must grant me."

He was very confident.

"And when I win?"

"When? A little overconfident, aren't we?", he smirked.

But she just smiled in response.

"Very well, if you win, I will grant you the same courtesy."

The girl looked to the chess board.

"Fine, I accept."

The students around them were all in awe of what she had said. How could this new girl think that she could beat their genius prefect in chess? She must have guts, they thought. Everybody knew that he was the best in this game.

"Well then, prepare to lose", he said amused: "Queen to G5."

He smirked in triumph.

"You're not bad, I'll have to give you that," she announced.

He smirked at her. He had finally defeated the girl.

But his jubilation was put to a halt when she began to smile.

"But I'm afraid that you're not good enough. Bishop to G5."

Her bishop glided through then chess board and pummeled hi queen to pieces, so that her figure threatened his king.

"Check mate."

Maélys looked the boy directly in the eye as she said: "I guess that means that I win."

Then she stood up and left the common room.

The whole room was in awe. Their undefeatable prefect had been beaten by the mysterious new girl.

They all watched as she walked out of the room without so much as a look back.

***