CHAPTER 17.

"What exactly is happening"? Abu's mother uttered with a stammering voice due to mayhem she was in when confronted by Abu's grandmother.

But she kept quite for a while and the said "He is seriously sick since morning that you brought him to me, I tried all the possible medications ut his fever is worsening that's why I decided to bring him back now" referring to Abu's brother she was carrying on her back.

Recently due to increased understanding between them, Abu's mother usually took his brother to her mother-in-law daily so that she could have enough time for Abu due to his father's absence.

She hastily moved towards her and collected him, from the way heat was radiating through the wrapper that was used, she knew it was something big and suggested that he should be taken to the Primary Health Care (PHC) and her in-law agreed to that.

She left her mother-in-law with Abu, picked some cash from her room and head towards the hospital in haste and abysmal manner.

On her arrival, she met only single freshly graduated Nurse and present her complain without delay, the nurse checked the boy and due to the absence of Doctor or any senior, she prescribed some drugs to him without any test.

Abu's mother's mind wasn't at rest and she requested for a referral paper to the main hospital in the city which she was giving and she head back home immediately after obtaining the drugs from the nearby pharmacy.

She gave him the prescribed drugs and also informed her in-law about her decision to take him to the city. Her mother-in-law reluctantly asked her to wait for his father who was to return in four days prior to taking him to the hospital, but later on agreed with her when she told her about their agreement to carry out necessary tasks even without permission.

Abu's grandmother helped Abu to his crutches and they went straight home while Abu's mother took his brother to hospital via the only route (Bike) available.

***

Abu's grandfather was home when they reached and he seeked for the explanation even before they settled down.

His wife looked at him with agony in her eyes and said "why is it that you never do things right? Do you think this is normal? Won't you at least let us rest prior to your witless statements?

He looked at her but uttered nothing as he await the explanation he queried. 

She helped Abu to her room, laid him down and kept his crutches aside. She came out and met her husband who was already in his chambers and explained to him what actually happened and the reason why she gave her the consent to do what she did.

He gave no proper thought but just started firing her with all sorts of abusive words showing how inferior women are and the ramifications that will follow if by any means a problem occur.

She listened till he finished and she walked out without uttering a word, that's what she always do when he abuse her and that's exactly what's making him angry about her all the time.

***

Abu's father on the other hand attended his businesses and everything went on smoothly. He was eager to return home to his wife and kids. He grew fond of her and spending days without her made him look like a gobshite always.

He later decided to just went back home since his business partner sent him a message that he won't be able to make it to their scheduled meeting in two days which was the exact reason for his staying in the far away land.

He wanted to use the opportunity to visit the nearby village for some businesses but his mindset was fully deviated and he just had a single thought in mind 'Go back home'.

He left the village late, despite many attempts by his friends to stop him from traveling, he insisted that he would take his leave that day which was almost about sun set. They told him about the recent attacks by bandits which was mostly targeted at lone travellers but he bid them good bye and left.

***

Abu's mother reached hospital late and immediately went to the emergency room, she was received hastily as the condition the boy was in actually terrified them. They tried their best to stabilised him first prior to making any payments but in the blink of an eye, he passed on.

His mother who was sitting by the pillar was just staring at them, not uttering a word or making any scene, she felt it down her spine even before the told her but couldn't do anything other than tears.

They took the body for documentation prior to release and an elderly Nurse condoled and told her about her son. She explained that they will release the body soon and also requested the presence of his father or any relative but there was none other than the bike man that brought her.

He acted not just as a bike man but also a relative. as a man, he did all the required things and got the body of the deceased.

She was still glued to the pillar with hot tears rolling down her cheeks and speechless still. The Nurse helped her up and held her hand tight, they walked to the bike and she held her deceased son while they left.

She uttered no word and made no noise at all, it was shocking but still such silence seems abnormal. The bike man drove out of the hospital and they headed home.

I do hope you will forgive the long silence since last chapter, ut wasnt as planned but I'll surely improve in subsequent ones. Thank you all.