Chapter 4 First Kiss Part 4. The Belated Kiss

The final day of camp came and we were all sad to be separated from our new found friends. I would have been content to spend the rest of my life at this camp in love and surrounded by love. I had never been happier, but something was bothering Connie. I had no idea what.

I asked one of Connie's friends what was bothering Connie. Ironically, Connie's friend was Cathy, the girl who had been my secret admirer. Fortunately for me she was very plain spoken because I'm not very good with subtlety. "You idiot, she is upset because you haven't kissed her yet. Everyone is getting ready to leave and you still haven't kissed her!"

When things are explained to me this clearly, even I can figure out what I need to do. I found Connie and told her I wanted to kiss her. Despite the fact that other boy and girl pairs were publicly kissing each other good bye, we both decided we had to find some place where we could do it in relative privacy. We did not want our inexperience to become a public spectacle.

There were not many options. We finally made our way behind the dining hall and behind the dumpster swarming with flies and putrid smells. Hardly romantic, but I was completely focused on the girl in front of me and nothing else mattered.

The kiss was closed mouth more reverent than sensuous, but sensuous enough for goose bumps to form over every square inch of my body. My words can't do justice to what followed so, I will build on the description of the final kiss in the story of the Princess Bride.

"Since the invention of the kiss there have been five kisses that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind." And our kiss left even the Princess Bride's kiss in the dust. It is well that this first kiss was also our last because there was no improving on it.