Chapter 4 First Kiss Part 3. Holy Communion

The camp held an outdoor holy communion service that I will always remember. A communion table was prepared up on a small ridge in a beautiful outdoor setting. Campers would go up in pairs and help themselves to the communion offerings by breaking off a small piece of cracker to represent the body of Christ and drink from the communion glasses a thimble full of grape juice in place of the wine representing the blood of Christ. All done in remembrance of the Last Supper.

It was obviously not as formal as many communion services held by many other sects that require priests and transubstantiation. The First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) is very liberal adhering to the motto "No creed but Christ." It stresses Christ's teachings of love over dogmas and formal rituals. Love was very much foremost in my emotions as Connie and I shared this experience. Even when I broke off too big a piece of cracker, I was not embarrassed. Connie broke off a smaller more appropriate piece. I just told her I clearly needed more Christ in my life than she did.

I apologize for using a chapter on my first kiss to talk about religion. It just seems appropriate since love is the focus of both. I truly love the church (Church refers to the people as well as the building) I was raised in. The church not only led me to my first kiss; it provided the foundations for my current beliefs and has greatly comforted me in times of need. It was where I met my dear friend Woodson and ironically, it was at a CYF (Christian Youth Fellowship) meeting where I first met my friend Bill who is Jewish and had been brought as a guest by another mutual friend.

I have been exposed to many religions in my life. I respect them all and if anything, I am now a Unitarian Universalist believing in the basic worth of every human personality and consequently in all their beliefs. But like my first love, my first religion will always hold a special place "in my heart."