20. POWER ENTITLED

I was hiding among the slippery boulders and carefully peeking at them

When the woman passes the torches on the walls began flickering, the train of her long black gown trailing behind her rather in a seductive manner.

The air turned melancholic by her mere presence and I felt more suffocated.

She stops her long pace and turns towards her henchman and said 'Fetch me the stone'. He bows low and walks away.

I watched his back disappear and then turned my gaze towards the woman.

Now she was twirling her fingers slowly admiring the rings on her thin fingers. 'Charming aren't they?' she said.

I jumped. Does she know I'm here? No. Maybe not. I secretly hoped that she was a mad woman who has a tendency to talk to herself.

'Well niece... Aren't you going to say greetings to your aunt...or farewell for the last time?' she asked now playing with a jewel.

Realising that she had indeed found me I got up from my hiding spot and faced her. I suddenly found it very disturbing that she had called me her 'niece'

'Who are you...?' I asked trying to control my shivering. 'Who am I to you...?'

She smirked at me. Her silky white hair reminding me of someone heavily.

 Her silky white hair reminding me of someone heavily

'Ahh I'm disappointed. Didn't my sister tell you who I was? Oh dear I forgot. She's dead.' she said cackling evilly.

Then suddenly it hit me. Very hard indeed. I hadn't minded when she had called me her 'niece'. But now it clicked on my mind.

'You're Lady Laverna. First born daughter of the King Nirilion of the Kingdom of Elveruin....!' I said shocked with realisation.

I backed away slowly. But Laverna approached me slowly.

'Ah so you do know me. And you may also know that the kingdom of Merobolis should have been mine' she said clenching her teeth.

'Well almost. But isn't it the Aran of Merobolis's wish to who to consider to be his wife? And clearly he had chosen Lady Lavinia' I said boldly.

'Yes...true. But it was truly my sister's fault she was chosen' she said barely hiding the fire in her eyes.

She continued when she saw my confusion 'When there was to be a ball for mine and Faeranduil's meeting my flawless idiotic sister had to come up and charm the Aran out of his wits'

'Lady Lavinia never charmed anyone. The Aran saw her glory and kindness within her beauty and married her. But why do you wish to have Merobolis so badly?' I asked.

'I never wanted Merobolis. I wanted Faeranduil. I loved him. He was talented. Charming. I wanted him. But I was devastated when I found out he asked for my sister's hand in marriage. My parents cannot force the Aran to choose me so they agreed on giving my sister. My sister had fallen for him but she did say that she'd give a word to him to find me a better suitor'