chapter 2

“Hi, daddy. I’m home.” I shouted as I entered the front door to my house. I took out my coat and placed it on the wooden coat rack to my right.

            “In the kitchen, darling.” My dad called out over the sound of Phil Collins ‘You Can’t Hurry Love’.

            “Not again.” I ran towards the kitchen before he could put anything on fire like he did last time.

            “How many times do I have to tell you to not try to cook your own food?” I snatched the giant plastic out of my dad’s hands dressed only of a Hawaiian short and shirt with the buttons undone. I turned the stove off since whatever he was trying to make already started to burn without him noticing.

            “I was hungry. You don’t want your old man to die of hunger now, do you?”

            A ping of guilt ran through me as the words left his mouth. I can’t believe I was so selfish that I forgot to make him something this morning before I went to school. I knew he couldn’t cook on his own.

            Sensing my inner battle, dad drew me in for a hug. “Don’t worry honey, it’s not your fault that I can barely boil an egg.” He chuckled. “I think both your grandmother and mother spoilt me by never letting me near the kitchen.”

            A faint laugh escaped my lips trying to relieve my heart’s tight squeezed at the mention of my mother. It had been a few years now since she left us but the wound hadn’t healed yet. I was beginning to think that the pain had become a permanent part of my soul. Dad hugged me tighter probably trying to get rid of his constant heartache. We stood there for a while before a soft meow ruined the moment.

            Ughh! I hate that thing. I can’t wait for its funeral which should be any days now judging by the light in its eyes.

            “Why don’t you go watch TV while I make us dinner?” I suggested, pulling away.

            “Ok.” He started to walk in the direction of the living room but he stopped half through the door. “Are you sure you don’t want my help? I can boil water perfectly you know.” He asked feigning innocence.

            “Go sit.” I pointed at the couch facing the television.

            “Your loss.” He said turning his back on me.

            I whirled around to start on dinner but instead came face to face with a pair of sad, deep gray eyes. A small shriek escaped my lips.

            “Out!” I shooed the poor animal. He gracefully lipped off the contour to go join my dad on the couch.

            I’ve always been more of a dog person but my dad was to attach to our cat to let it go. It reminded him of mom so he kept it with him everywhere he went. And I meant everywhere… bathroom included. I really should not be thinking of bathroom when I’m about to make food.

            I had no idea what I was going to cook. I took a look inside the pot my dad had on the stove. There was some black gooey substance mix with vegetable. I can’t even tell what he put in it. Yes, it was that bad.

                                    ______________________________________

            “Buuuurp! Thank you.” My father let out after he finished his entire glass of Coke in one sip. Then he lifted up his gaze towards me with a challenging smirk on his lips.