Chapter 11

“Your football practice?” I shouted at Ken when we pulled up in front of the school’s football field. I should have guess it wasn’t going to be a real date when I saw him waiting for me downstairs in a light brown button down shirt and black jeans. I was instantly jealous of his comfortable outfit. Why couldn’t I stood up to Roxie and wore what felt good to me?

“You’re welcome,” he winked at me.

“What made you think I want to sit around watching a bunch of idiot beating the crap out of each other for a ball, especially on my birthday?” my voice kept rising at each words. I was trying my best to not let my frustration get the best of me. These last few days I’ve been experiencing enough anger to compensate for all my silent years.

“Isn’t it like every girls dream?” He asked puzzled at my outburst.

“I don’t know Ken since I’m just one girl, not every one of them. So, if that’s all you had planned for me I would rather go home now and do much more productive activities. Taking off those shoes will be the first; they are killing me.” I stomped towards his black sports car.

“Wait,” Ken called out turning me back around with his hands on my elbow.

“Stop touching me,” I hissed at him. He took a step back. I didn’t blame him that scared me too.

“Ok, I just wanted to see we can go somewhere else if you want.” A trace of hurt flashed into his face but he erased it easily.

I sighed, “Sure, why not?” I smiled at him and put my hand into his. “At one condition,” I paused as he started to pull me towards his car. His eyebrow rose at me waiting for me to finish. “You tell me where we’re going before we go because I don’t like your surprises.”

A smirk gradually engulfed his lips, “don’t you trust me?”

“Absolutely not,” I answered quickly.

“Ouch,” he placed his hands on his chest to add to his dramatic act, “that hurts.”

“Don’t care. Where are we going?” I tapped my feet impatiently.

“My house.”

“Hell no, who do you think I am?”

“Ok, fine. Let’s go eat then. I know a great place that could get you in a better mood for your special day.”

“Great, where?”

“A place where they sell food,” he answered sarcastically. “I’m not going to sell you to the black market you know.”

“Yeah, I know. But you’re kind of cute when you’re frustrated.” I beamed at him.

“Is that so?” his hands were creating patterns on my palm.

“Eww, dude. You just ruined the moment.” I snatched my hand back. “No more playing, I’m hungry.”

He walked behind me to open my door, “your carriage awaits milady.’

Great, we’re back to the milady crap and his ridiculous accent.

The interior of the car once again left me perplexed. It wasn’t packing fluorescent lights like the other one but it still exhibited evidence of wealth. It didn’t appear to be the car of a teenage boy but of a dominant man while still retaining a touch of feminine presence. The wheel was enveloped by black leather while the red fabric of the cushions felt like silk to my touch. The backseat was covered with black and white cheetah print. The all black theme was freaking me out though.

“Are you going to stop eye raping my car?” Ken said bringing my eyes back to him.

An uncomfortable giggle lurched out of me. “Nice car” I coughed out as he glanced at me curiously.