Chapter 10

One’s eighteenth birthday was supposed to be special. It was the day that society finally declared you an adult with her one rights and responsibilities. It was the day one becomes a full citizen with the right to vote freely or be thrown in jail if one makes a reckless mistake. Most people have prodigious parties with friends and family members. They blow their eighteen candles accompanied with tremendous applause and best wishes from everyone. But I’m different, I woke on October 11, bright and early to find myself in an empty house. I got to spend my most important birthday yet with my couch and Full House. My dad was suffocating himself in his work, Jill had a car to finish repairing by the end of the day, and I haven’t heard from Roxie. She was probably coming up a book full of questions about last night.

I was contemplating on whether to go to the store and buy a cake to eat by myself when the doorbell rang. “Happy birthday best friend,” Roxie squealed as soon as I opened the door for her. “Now, tell me everything. I can’t believe you got Ken McCall to fall for you. Who knew you had all that in you?” she clapped. I had been waiting for her assault since yesterday afternoon. I’m shocked that she actually went through the night without cracking and waking me up to make me tell every little details that happened.

I rolled my eyes at her, “nobody is falling for me and I’m not falling for anybody.” He probably just want me to do his math homework, I thought.

“Nikkie seriously, he likes you. Why else would he ask me for your phone number?” she walked passed towards the fridge. “You guys need to do groceries. This thing is empty.” She muffled with her head buried inside it.

I crossed my arms over my chest waiting for her to stop with her rambling. I heard everything being shifted inside the fridge. Her head reappeared with a can of soda in her hand and a bag of ham between her teeth.

“It wouldn’t be empty if you stopped devouring everything in it,” I snapped at her.

She put down the ham on the table and took a seat. She pulled at the tab on the can making it pop. She took a sip before opening the ham bag and started to eat it.

“At least make a sandwich out of it,” I snarled at her.

She took another sip of soda, “a sandwich requires bread.” She replied as if that should explain everything.

“Ok, don’t hold back now. You’ve already emptied our fridge.” I accused.

“I don’t eat bread and you know it. I have a dance competition coming up so I have to keep my figure.” She drank the rest of the soda in one sip.

“You’re drinking soda?” I shouted at her with my hands now on my hips.

“Yeah, I know,” she replied with a guilty smile on her face. “I shouldn’t do that but I couldn’t resist. I swear it was calling my name. I can never resist sodas. They’re my guilty pleasure but don’t you dare tell anyone or I will skin you alive.” Her eyes were shooting daggers but she had a pleading look on her face.

“Who am I going to tell anyway? You’re the only person I talk to,” I admitted.

Roxie threw the last piece of ham in her mouth. “I know, that’s because you’re so anti-social.” She got up and marched passed me, dropping the empty can and bag.

“Anti-socialism is an actual disorder, Roxie. You shouldn’t take it so lightly.” I reprimanded her but I knew she was not paying attention to what I was saying.

“Speaking of people you talk to, let’s back track into the Ken McCall discussion.” She laid down on the couch completely ignoring my remark.

“There’s nothing to discuss. He just gave me a ride, that’s it.” I realized what I’ve just said when Roxie’s neck snapped in my direction with her mouth wide open.