Chapter 9

That was the most awkward car drive I’ve ever been in. Actually, the awkwardness was one sided because every time I would steal a glance toward Ken he was wearing that smug look on his face. He was whistling happily ever since he stopped his small, shiny black luxury car on the side of the road. Don’t ask me to describe the car any further because that’s as far my knowledge on cars go. The only reason why I knew it was a luxury car was because it belonged to Ken McCall.

Once he reached me he bowed down mockingly then, offered his hand to me. I was a little reluctant at first but it wasn’t as if I had any other option. My father was still at work and Roxie had dance practice. I didn’t know anybody else in this city so I was trap with Satan. It was either that or freeze on the side of the road. I placed my hand in his and he walked me to his car. He opened the passenger door for me and waited till I was seated to close it. With a deep breath I took in the interior of his vehicle. Fluorescent lights illuminate the wheel and everything else behind it. A sweet ginger aroma sharpened my senses. The seat felt like smooth cushion underneath my body. I was still trying to calm my shaking hands when I heard the driver door opened.

“So? Where shall we go Milady?” He said with a horrific British accent.

”My house,” I rolled my eyes at him.

“Of course, and what music would Milady love to hear on this fine afternoon?” the accent was getting worse by the second.

“One more night, and drop the stupid accent.” I took my phone to text my dad about what happened. He’ll know what to do. I stopped texting when I heard the song that was booming in the car. It wasn’t what I asked for.

“What’s this?” I asked him confused. I thought I was the one choosing the song. Why ask for my opinion then completely disregard it?

“One More Night,” he stated simply.

“No, it’s not,” I listened to that song a hundred times. He couldn’t trick me.

“Yes, it is.” He sounded flustered, “there, it’s clear that’s Adam Levine’s voice.”

“What does he have to do with One More Night?” I was still confused and by the look on his face so was he.

“Well, it’s Maroon 5’s song and he’s the lead singer so…” he trailed.

“Oh,” I understood now. We were both right, we were just talking about two different songs. “When I said One More Night, I was talking about the one Phil Collins not the Maroon 5 one.” I smiled at him.

“Oh,” he laughed then it dropped suddenly, “who’s Phil Collins?”

I raised an eyebrow in utter shock at him. His eyes did not leave the road; his lips still contained that self-satisfied smirk on them as if he hadn’t said anything out of the ordinary. I decided to let him find out the answer to his question on his own. I pulled out my headphones and blocked out everything with the angelic voice of Phil Collins in his upbeat song “Sussudio”.

However, not everything was completely blocked out by the music. My heart was hammering in my chest with Ken’s proximity and the soft feeling of the car did not ease anything. It just made me more aware of the person next to me. I was so thankful when I saw the car stopped in front of my house that I practically jumped out. Then, it hit me.

“How did you know where I live?” I asked cautiously. I already dealt with one stalker this week so I didn’t need another one. No matter how terrible I thought Ken was, I knew he wouldn’t stoop that low. He didn’t have to.

“A little birdy told me,” he replied picking up his happy whistle again. He walked me to the door but he didn’t act like he was leaving anytime soon.