Chapter Nine

I sit down and get all my art stuff, just like yesterday.

I sit down in my stool and begin painting the same thing I did yesterday.

A pond with water lilies and flowers.

I hear the door open and my heart jumps into my throat as I turn around.
It's Harry, alive and well, walking into art class late. He's wearing a cheeky smile on his face and I can feel myself smile too.

"Harry!" I jump up from my stool before I realize what I'm doing. He doesn't know me yet.

Everyone looks at me, including Harry.
He looks startled, then waves.

"Hi, Abby," he says carefully, as if I'm playing a nasty joke on him.

What am I thinking, of course he knows me. He said yesterday- or today- that he's been trying to get me to notice him.

I clear my throat and return to painting.

"I like your painting," he says. I smile.
"Thanks, I- um. Can I see yours?" I ask him and he smiles back, showing off his dimples.

"Sure, let me go get it," he leaves.

I look at my painting. I'm about to trace the blue flowers with white, but I remember what Harry said yesterday, about waiting for it to dry. I go to get the hair dryer and plug it in. I'm drying the paint when Harry comes back with his painting.

"Here it is," he says proudly. It's just as amazing as it was yesterday.

"It's really good," I tell him.

"Thank you," he grins.

I am so happy to see that grin again.

"Hey, um... Can you meet me by the vending machines at lunch?" He asks, scratching his head.

"Sure!" I smile and the bell rings signalling art class is over.