Sweet Enough - Ranpo

The detective sat in his chair, sucking a lollipop with a glum look on his face. He let out a long sigh and pulled the lollipop out of his mouth with a loud POP. He so hated waiting, especially in the office. He twirled the stick in his hand and slowly leaned back so that his head leaned as far as humanly possible on the spinning chair.

The only other person in the room was Junichiro Tanizaki, who had been watching the detective for the past half-hour. Usually Ranpo-san would have asked him for a homicide case half a minute into being bored, but today he was behaving...

...oddly, to say the least.

The sound of rapid footsteps startled him and the door was flung open. (Y/N) stood in the doorway, hands on knees, trying to catch her breath. In her hands she held a crumpled paper bag.

Tanizaki's eyes bulged as the detective jumped up to greet her, That's the first time he's moved so fast in half a year... he sweat-dropped.

"(Y/N)-chan!"

"Oh, Ranpo-san!" she panted, "I'm sorry I was late, I-" She was cut off by Ranpo jamming his hat on her head.

"I already know, (Y/N)-chan."He grinned and (Y/N) felt her heart thump harder. He took the bag from her shaking hands and sat on the desk, rummaging through the bag eagerly, still wearing his close-eyed smile.

"I wouldn't be the greatest detective in the world if I didn't, now, would I?"

He gestured for her to sit, which she did, then pulled out a slightly crumpled package, one that (Y/N) recognized all too well. Inside were the cookies that she hadn't been able to taste test for sweetness before coming to the Agency. "I'll have this one first!"

"Ranpo-san! Are you sure? Wouldn't you want to try the other ones first?" (Y/N) stared apprehensively at the package.

I made those ones...

"Of course not! The other ones are inferior to your creations!" He happily ripped open the paper and admired the glazed cookie before taking an enormous bite of it.

(Y/N) was frozen, staring apprehensively at Ranpo as he chewed expressionlessly. Even Tanizaki gawked, wondering what sort of blunt criticism he'd give and how badly the young lady would react.

He chewed a moment longer before gulping. He made no comment. Stared at the cookie with a blank close-eyed expression.

"How is it? Is it good? Is it sweet? I was running late, so I never had the time to taste te-"

He kissed (Y/N) full on the mouth. She sat, rooted to the spot, eyes wide and heart thumping impossibly fast.

Ranpo slowly pulled away, licked his lips and devoured the rest of the cookie.

Leaning back, he watched a blush spread over her cheeks and licked his fingers of the remaining icing.

His eyes opened with a piercing gaze.

"Sweet enough."