Chapter 11

Putting together a sandwich in the galley, I stacked a layer of chips between my meat and cheese. Biting into a carrot as I squished the sandwich together, I heard Mick's distinct footsteps come in. He opened the fridge to look for something, and I dumped more chips onto my plate.

  The cabinet over my head opened, and Mick went to dig for a dish until he paused while standing behind me.

  "What?" I took another bite out of the carrot while otherwise outwardly ignoring his presence.

  "You not gonna move?"

  "I was here first. And you can clearly reach over me, so grab your plate and go."

  "Maybe I don't want to go." Mick brought his head down beside mine, setting his other hand on the counter.

   "You sure you wanna do that here?" I muttered while raising my eyebrows, and Mick answered by pressing his hips against me.

   "I got nothing to do today." He said, clearly hinting at filling his free time with sex.

   "Sounds boring for you."

   "What? Do you not want to?" Mick paused, and I looked at him from the corner of my eye.

   "I'm making lunch right now, Mick."

   "So?"

   "Meaning I want to eat first."

   "Right. Then after?"

   "I know where your room is." I smirked, and he smiled while looking down at me. The galley doors opened, and Amaya walked in. Mick quickly stood up straight and went back to digging through the cabinet.

   Slipping out from between him and the counter with my plate, I walked over to the table to sit down. I could tell from the look on her face that she was suspicious of something as she glanced between Mick and I.

   "There's an Aberration. We're heading to Liberty, Colorado, 1874."

   "Old West? Awesome." Amaya lingered while looking at us again before leaving the galley. The door closed, and I turned to Mick.

   "Looks like you've got somethin' else to do today." I said before taking a bite out of my sandwich, and the layer of chips crunched.

   "Doesn't mean we can't later."

   "We'll see how things play out first, big guy."

✧☾✧

   It was as I was leaving my room and putting on my hat that I froze in my bedroom doorway. Amaya was standing there with her hands on her hips, already dressed for the Old West and a serious look on her face. There was a moment of silence as we looked at each other, and I quirked up a brow.

   "Did I do something? I feel like I'm about to get scolded." I said, and her expression softened.

   "No, I was just.... I'm worried. Logan, Mick's not....bullying you, is he?"

   "....What?"

   "I mean, I know you can handle yourself and are a Therian, but Mick can be pretty intimidating and you are....short in your human form." She shifted on her feet. "If you want me to say something to him, I will."

   "Uuuuh...." My brain was stalling while trying to process what was happening. "Why would you think he was bullying me?"

   "What happened in the galley. It looked like he was trying to intimidate you." Amaya crossed her arms as her brows furrowed. "That's....not what was happening, was it?"