Chapter 21

*WARNING: Mentions of self-harm*

  "I wish I had better news about Sara, but she's still in a coma thanks to Damien Darhk's daughter laying her out." Jax waved his hand while leaning on the table in the Captain's office.

  "Well, in the meantime, we could do what we do best and fix a few Anachronisms." Ray suggested while putting his hands on his hips.

  "How about you drop me off on an island full of beautiful women like Zari did with that Helen chick." Mick pointed and spoke with his cheek stuffed with food.

  "Rory, you weren't supposed to say anything."

  "Wait, you didn't take Helen back to Troy where she belongs?"

  "That's what the Time Bureau does, but we- we do something different." Zari stood up while pointing.

  "No, we do it different....ly."

  "Yeah, uh, more messy."

  "Okay, if you look at the historical record," Zari went up to the screen displaying Anachronisms and searched through them. "the Trojan War happens with or without Helen. See? No Anachronism." Zari raised her eyebrows while looking at us.

  "How do you think the Captain would feel about you re-engineering time?"

  "Well, we can argue about that later because I know exactly what she'd say if she wakes up and finds us doing nothing." Jax raised his hands at his sides as he walked towards the screen.

  "We owe it to Sara to keep doing our job. So where do we start?"

  "Well, I was thinking we just leave it up to chance and my index finger." Jax poked a random spot on the screen, and an Anachronism was pulled up that was Level 8.

  "Oof. Vietnam. 1967. Also known as the height of the Vietnam War." Nate waved his hands. "Gideon, what kind of Anachronism are we dealing with?"

  "A Level 8. Scans of the historical record reveal redacted Pentagon reports about a creature of unknown origin attacking American and Vietcong soldiers in the jungle. Dozens have disappeared without a trace."

  "No way I'm going to 'Nam." Mick growled, now having a sour expression as he was slouching in his seat.

  "All I know is that if American soldiers are being targeted, I am ready to do my duty." Amaya crossed her arms.

  "This war's a little different." Nate groaned. "Unlike World War II, the military objectives in Vietnam weren't so cut and dry."

  "Yeah, it was controversial, and the reasons for getting involved were murky. You know, come to think about it, this team should be right at home." Zari smiled. "Records say there's a creature in that jungle, so why don't we just let Logan loose out there? I'm kidding, I already know better than that." Zari quickly added the last part after getting some looks from the others.

  "Should I be insulted y'all would think I'd do something bad, or happy I'm not being sent alone and told 'Sic 'em'?"

✧☾✧

  "I hate the jungle. You sure this is the right way?" Mick questioned while walking ahead of Nate and I.

  "Well, according to the field reports, the last known location of Alpha Team was right....here." Nate trailed off since we'd come upon the site of an attack. There was churned dirt and blood splatters, scattered tatters of bloody clothes and lost weapons.

  "I should have stayed in Aruba."

  "What could have taken out a whole patrol of US soldiers?"

  "Anyone else think this is a little too much like Predator?" I asked, and Nate shot me a look.