Chapter 8

"If we're meant to be impressed by all this technology, it has the opposite effect." The woman in a red dress stated as she walked around.

  "It only makes you that more dangerous."

  "Well, and there's evidence to support that, but I think what's important now is for all of us to stop arguing." Stein waved his hand.

  "Does your team ever stop arguing?" Rex popped off.

  "Fair point."

  "I think what Martin is trying to say is we're gonna help you whether you like it or not." Sara folded her hands in front of herself. "You're going after Krieger, we know where he's going next."

  "And given the laws of temporal mechanics, if you die, your grandson ceases to exist." Stein explained.

  "Well, I don't pretend to understand any of this time travel bunk, but these fellas do have a timeship. Might come in handy."

  "And having them as our backup might be the only way to keep them out of trouble."

  "Let's put it to a vote, then." Rex raised his hand, and soon the others of his team did as well. "The ayes have it."

  "Wow, gettin' babysitters." I popped off from where I sat.

  "And who are you exactly?" The woman in the red dress looked at me with furrowed brows.

  "Logan Maverick. Resident Therian, not at your service." I curtly bowed my head.

  "A Therian?" She shifted on her feet as her expression changed.

  "....What's a Therian?" Rex questioned.

  "A race of people with the ability to shape-shift into animals, beasts." Amaya glanced at the others before looking back at me. "You're just a legend to my people."

  "Just a legend to most peoples." I said while resting my elbows on my knees. "But very much real."

✧☾✧

  "That mission was a disaster." My tone was firm as I was looking right at Stein.

  "We got the amulet."

  "And had to leave behind Ray and Amaya! Your bumbling and indecisiveness only got us into deep shit out there." I pointed, and I just knew my expression was matching how angry I was. "When we're in the field, we don't have the time for you to analyze every little detail and then make a decision. You need to be quick about this shit, or we could all die."

  He opened his mouth to rebuttal, but I spoke before he could.

  "Nothing you say can change what happened, Stein. You put us in danger, Ray and Amaya more than any of us, and we don't even know if they're alive or not. I'm not going to listen to a captain that can't even keep the team together."

  "Logan-"

  "Don't bother. Either get your shit together or step down and let someone else be captain."

  "And who do you think could possibly fill that role?" Stein raised his brows at me. "You?"

  "Obviously not me. I'm not volunteerin' for the role, I just know you can't fuckin' do it." I pointed at him. "And I know I sure as shit ain't gonna listen to you if you keep this shit up. I'd rather stay alive."

✧☾✧

  "Firestorm is drawing the troops away from the bunker."

  "Copy that. We still need to find Ray and Amaya." I could hear the others talking over the comms as we were split up into teams. Firestorm was in the air with the planes, Sara and Rory had gone in to retrieve Ray and Amaya, and the rest of us were fighting off the Nazi soldiers around the base. "We've recovered the rest of the team."