Chapter Six ~ The Dust

Above is the drawing that inspired the outfit chosen for Jack in this chapter and that will be used for future chapters!! I didn't come up with all of it, so I thought that I should give credit where it's due! The art is by allalternate! Anyways, enjoy the chapter! ~rose

          The wind gushed along the dry hills as you had closed in on your destination with Jack. Pushing the sand beneath your feet, you halted at a sign on the outskirts of the region. Looking up, you read the words. "The Dust." Lowering your sight, now, to the quite empty area, you scanned for anything familiar. Actually - you scanned for one thing in particular. Ellie's Garage. Despite everything happening with Hyperion's destruction and your possible-fake friends, you knew Ellie was to be trusted.

          "Yep. Looks the same to me." Jack announced beside you, covering his brow with a hand, looking into the bare and partially-desolate area. "All just a boatload of nothin'. What're you even looking for?" He asked, facing you.

          "Ellie's." You responded plainly, now meeting his gaze. Once doing so, you realized just what you were about to do. Walk into your friend's garage with Handsome Jack himself. The minute you stepped foot anywhere near her garage, she would land a bullet straight in his head. You had to make him unrecognizable. After all, you don't want to kill him. Not yet, at least. He would have to look different... maybe like a bandit? The mask and Hyperion branded outfit has to go.

          "What is it?" Jack piped up, tearing you from your trance. He then gave you a smirk, quickly making your eye twitch. "Listen, I know it's hard to not get lost in my alluring eyes, kiddo, but try not to lose yourself right in front of me, okay? I can practically see the drool." Flinching back from him, you wiped your mouth quickly. You found no saliva as you shot a glare at Jack, feeling your face flush a light pink in embarrassment. In return, he lets out a hearty laugh at your sheepish reaction. "Hah! Relax, kid! I'm just pulling your leg!"

          "Very funny," you replied dryly, now grabbing his arm and pulling him towards a nearby shack. He stumbles along, a few chuckles still escaping him.

          "W-Woah, where are we going in such a hurry?" He managed to ask in between short breaths of laughter, following you to the trash bins behind the vacant property.

          "If we want to get anywhere near Ellie or, really, anyone for that matter, you can't be yourself," you told him, stopping in front of the garbage piles and dust bins. Letting go of his arm, you opened the cans and kicked through the piles, looking for anything to disguise him with. Scavenging through, you pulled out a dusty psycho mask and a pair of ratty, old jeans. You turned around, facing his disgusted expression.

          "You want me to wear that?" He asked in disbelief, pointing at the hand-me-down clothes in front of him.

          "Oh that's only the start," you grinned, pushing the clothes into his arms, causing him to stumble back in revolt. "Lose the mask, too," you added, spinning back around to the trash piles in front of you.

          "What??" He exclaimed, looking at you in disbelief as you dug through the rubbish, pulling out other sorts of garments he could disguise himself with. "I- Wh-..no!" He refused, staring at the back of your head. You turned back to him, holding withered leather boots.

          "Do you want to get shot on sight?" You inquired, pushing the shoes into his arms. You paused and looked him up and down. "Your waist coat you can keep... but forget about the jacket. The Hyperion sweater as well- Ah, well..." you reconsidered, tilting your head slightly as he stared back, baffled and somewhat offended. "Hm... never mind. Just start changing, and I'll try to find a new jacket for you as well." You directed, walking to a new trash bin to search through. You chuckled as you heard him growl, his footsteps dragging against the sandy floor as he trudged inside the empty shack.