Chapter Twelve ~ Escaping the Lab

After about a day, consciousness finally returned to you. 

          The first thing you felt when you woke was actually the absence of feeling on your left arm. Blinking away sleep, you forcefully sat up against the bed - it seemed as though you were moved from that surgery table. Your eyes, looking towards your left arm, fell upon a sleek, mechanical arm. The silver color shone against the blaring lights above you as you attempted to move it. The arm shifted to your will as it flipped back and forth. Palm up, palm down, palm up, palm down...evidently, it was easier to control than you thought.

          You pushed your weight against whatever surface you were on, sliding your legs off and to the ground. Gripping a fistful of cloth, you smoothed your left hand over what seemed to be a bed. It wasn't a special one - just a plain twin sized bed with white blankets and such. Your eyes flicked from the bed back to your new arm, examining it now closely. You brought it up to your face, staring at the mechanical work and detail. Thankfully, you didn't find a single Hyperion symbol on the arm - you figured if you walked back into Sanctuary with a Hyperion-made arm, people would be...suspicious, to say the least. 

          Satisfied, you pushed yourself off of the bed and to your feet. Wobbling slightly, you struggled to gain balance, clearly disoriented after such a long nap. How long were you asleep for, anyways? It felt like a long sleep...

          As you contemplated to yourself, the sound of a door squeaking open tore you from your thoughts. 

          "Oh good! You're awake!" Jack's voice cheered out as you pulled your head up, locking eyes with your heterochromatic friend. 

          ...did you just consider Jack to be your friend? 

          He continued to talk, which didn't allow you to think too deeply about your realization. 

          "Anyways, the brainiacs muttered something about movement on the cameras outside of the lab and they think it's bandits that followed us here - which could totally be true," Jack informed you as he walked into the room. He sported his normal, handsome mask, however his psycho mask was gripped tightly in his hand. "So, we should probably head out, alright cupcake? I know you just woke up, but we gotta-" Jack paused to click his tongue as he formed his free hand into a thumbs up, throwing it back behind him, "-split, alright?" His eyes fell to your left arm and walked closer to you. "How's the arm, by the way? Working well?"

          "Hm? Oh, yeah," your eyes fell to your arm as well, moving it slightly and gripping your hands into a fist to prove it worked. Jack rubbed his chin in thought, watching you shift your arm back and forth. He hummed slightly, seeming to be convinced of the arm's proper use. 

          "Hmmm alright... just let me know if it malfunctions on you and I'll strangle those brainiacs myself, alright pumpkin?" He decided, giving you a wink as if what he said was an attempt at flirting. Surprisingly, you replied with a soft chuckle, your eyes still locked on your new metal limb. Something about him was just so... infatuating. You pulled your eyes away from your arm and to Jack. He was walking towards your black bag and sifted through it to double check everything was in there, his back to you. His broad shoulders you once saw as repulsive were now attractive. His once greedy eyes were now alluring. His pretentious smirk held no malice towards you anymore. What was happening? 

          Finally, Jack zipped up the bag and threw it over his shoulder with a grunt. He spun around and tossed you your pistol, the psycho mask now secure on his face. You caught it in the air, gripping it tightly in your hand. You cocked it, as you placed it safely in its holster which was still on your side. Jack fancied himself with a shotgun, double checking the ammo inside of it.