Doubt

The next day at the fence Tyler met me with an expression that I could tell meant that he had something important to share. "I suppose you found the tunnels." I said as he bent down and hid behind the bush. He smiled at me. "I did. Underneath one of the trash bins. There's a trapdoor that leads to a tunnel. It seems to go on for miles and miles, but I can see a faint light near the end." He explained. "That's great Tyler." I told him. He frowned. "Why aren't you more excited?" He asked. I looked down at my old shoes. "It's just... we've talked about escaping for years. But now that it's actually achievable...It's so close. But, what if it's a mistake?" I worried. He looked at me, concern growing in his eyes. "I mean, what if the bishops really are protecting us?" I paused. "What if it's just... nothing...out there I mean. What if there are wild animals or other people who escaped, who don't want anyone else out there. What if they-" I sighed. "What if it's just better to stay inside." Tyler scoffed. "Inside here?". "Listen to me, DEMA is a prison. They want to make us forget all of the hope we have. Look-this is what they want! They want us to become discouraged and give up. Because once we're out there, they can't control us anymore. They don't control us now, because we've broken free. Don't you see? DEMA doesn't control us anymore!" As he was speaking, I felt a new sense of hope fill me. Tyler was always the best at giving inspirational talks. "Thanks." I smiled at him. "Just so you know." He started to say. "I don't want you to think that I have it all together, that I never have... doubts." He admitted. My eyes searched his for a further explanation. "Everything that you're saying goes through my mind at least a million times a day too, you know." I loosened up a little bit, grateful to know that he felt this way too sometimes. "But you sound so sure of yourself." I said. He shook his head and smiled a little. "Only reason I'm able to give all these talks to you... is because I have to give 'em to myself first." He said. I must have looked confused. "Sorry to disappoint you." He said as he held up his hands in the air. "I'm just as messed up as you." We both laughed a little and smiled at each other. We stayed silent for a moment before I ended the quiet. "So do you think we can get out using the tunnel?" I asked. He blinked a few times as if to regain focus. "Yeah so there are these weird markings in the tunnel too. Arrows painted in yellow and a weird name painted on the side." He told me. "What's the name?" I asked. "Something like Bandit, but like with an "o" at the end. So, Bandito." He said. I furrowed my eyebrows together. "Sounds..." "Familiar right? But I can't put my finger on it either." He expressed, clearly annoyed with himself. "Anyways I think this is our chance." He continued. "During the ceremony tomorrow." He explained. I took a breath. "Pack a backpack, stuff as much as you can fit in, Blankets, Clothes, save some food from your meals today and tomorrow morning. Who knows when we'll be able to find something out there to eat. I'll do the same." He advised. "It's going to work." He assured me. I nodded. "But wait, Tyler..." I trailed off. "How am I supposed to get to the tunnel? I mean, there's no way to get into another district except through the doors at the sanctuary." Tyler thought for a moment before looking up at the fence, and its top. It was about 15 feet tall, designed to keep us apart, but not as well as the DEMA city walls, those were impossible to get out from. They were tall, smooth and there was nowhere to grab onto. That's why the tunnels were the only option, and they only way for me to get there was to climb over the fence. I couldn't practice climbing over since I would certainly be dragged to the bishops for punishment. We only had one shot at getting out, and there was no way I was going to blow it for Tyler. "You have to go without me." I told him. "What?" He whisper-shouted almost on impulse. "If I mess this up, you have to go. You can't wait for me and end up getting caught. Especially by Nico." I explained. He shook his head frantically. "No, stop. You're going to be fine. Besides, we'll go during the ceremony so that no one will be around to see you." He told me. I decided that there was no point in arguing, I knew exactly how he felt. "Still, how are we going to stay behind during the ceremony?" I asked him. "I'll fake that I'm sick, hide in my room. While they send a guard to come make sure I'm not escaping, I'll do just that." He explained. "Should I do the same?" I asked. "Sure, just try not to make it suspicious. Maybe specify that you have a runny nose, and a cough, and I'll say that I feel nauseous." He told me. I nodded. "I can't believe that we're actually doing this." I said. "Me neither." "Make sure to bring the radio." I said. "It was the start of our escape journey." He added. "Actually, I think meeting each other was." I said abruptly before getting up to head back to my room.