Chapter 13

Chunhua noticed Xiaojun's face change ever so slightly as Lucas spoke to him, everything in her screaming that something was wrong.

She got up, tempted to approach them but was stopped by one of the cyborg workers.

"Miss, your lesson is starting soon." The cyborg said, blocking her view of Xiaojun and Lucas. Chunhua sighed as she noticed them leave the cafeteria, turning back to the cyborg in front of her.

"Thank you." Chunhua said, faking a smile. As if I didn't know that already.

She took a deep breath, knowing that there was nothing she could do but continue with her regular schedule.

...

As a battle cyborg that had been trapped in a battle arena until either him or his opponent died, Xiaojun knew what it was like to be entering the lion's den. Right now, the twisting of his guts inside him was exactly like that.

Xiaojun heard the door close behind him, trapping him in as Kun smiled, motioning to the chair across from his desk. "Please, take a seat."

Xiaojun had entered the doors forbidden to Chunhua, now in Kun's office located in the research facility. He had witnessed the screams of the various Beta and Omega teams and whatever new monster Intelligence was creating, similar to his own before they had finished and decided that he was ready to fight.

Xiaojun decided not to test his luck, following Kun's orders as he sat down. Kun immediately began showing him videos of him in battle, the images hovering over the surface of the desk.

"You're a strong one, Xiaojun." Kun said as they watched Xiaojun brutally rip apart the head of his opponent, making the crowd cheer. "You're one of the strongest battle cyborgs we have ever created."

"Thank you." Xiaojun said, politely bowing his head but that wasn't enough for Kun as he waved his hand, and the images shifted.

Xiaojun watched himself sitting with Chunhua in the battle arena, the two of them watching Hendery fighting against his opponent. They were both focused on Hendery in his moments, yet he felt a tingling in his fingers as he watched the scene play in front of him.

"Do you know why you're so strong, so undefeatable?" Kun asked, making Xiaojun stiffen. The answer was as clear as the day yet he had trouble getting the words out.

"Because I have no emoitions." Xiaojun said, staring at the desk to avoid Kun's eyes. He already had a feeling what was about to come.

"So why," the images shifted once again, "did this happen?"

Xiaojun couldn't help but look up, gulping as he watched himself protect Chunhua with his body, hugging onto hers tightly. He watched as his eyes went soft as he stared at the girl, something that he knew should have never happened.

"I don't know." Xiaojun said but both of them knew it was a lie as Kun waved his hand again and the images disappeared, leaving nothing between the two of them.

"If this keeps up, we'll have to send you back to the research facility." Kun said, lacing his fingers together. Xiaojun's eyes widened, shaking his head.

No, please don't send me back there!

"It won't happen again." Xiaojun said, hoping that would be enough to convince Kun.

Xiaojun watched as a smile appeared on Kun's face and he heard the door behind him open.

"Very good. Neither of us want to see your skills go to waste."

...

Xiaojun wasn't back for dinner and Chunhua was getting worried. She didn't know who she could possibly trust as she sat there silently, picking at her food.