Chapter 9

Hendery was chuckling as he sat beside Xiaojun on the train, not a single scratch on him. Xiaojun felt a light nudge, turning to his friend. "Come on, lighten up."

"You did well." Xiaojun said, thinking back to how effortlessly Hendery had defeated his opponent.

"Aw, thanks." Hendery said, giggling to himself. He quickly cleared his throat as he noticed that Xiaojun wasn't laughing with him, trying to cover it up. "Okay, I get that you have no emotions but you could have faked it."

Xiaojun's mind was somewhere else though, thinking about what Chunhua had said.

Would Intelligence ever put two of us against each other?

No, that would be stupid. Xiaojun thought, denying the idea. They would just be killing off one of their own.

But considering how Intelligence created cyborgs like them who only had one job, which was to kill, the idea didn't seem that out there.

"We're here." Lucas said, making Xiaojun look up.

He only came face to face with Chunhua though, the two of them locking eyes for a moment before it broke as Lucas walked between them.

...

He's a monster, Chunhua thought as she lay there, staring at her ceiling. Intelligence is built to create monsters.

Chunhua had seen the games so many times, witnessing the brutal kills of the members of Alpha Team, but today, it felt different.

It felt like she was in the arena, being choked to death herself.

Chunhua quickly shook her head, adjusting her blankets. You're thinking too much, just drop it. You're here to train them, that's it.

Chunhua squeezed her eyes shut, hoping that would help but she knew that it wouldn't. She let out a frustrated sigh as she slid out of her bed, grabbing a robe and putting her slippers on before stepping outside.

The area where she lived in was quiet, only a light buzzing as the various robots moved pass her, completing their night tasks. Chunhua found herself roaming around the facility, going wherever her feet could take her.

Chunhua found a large metal door, no signs or labels around. She couldn't help but wonder what was behind it, noticing the scanner on the side.

"Will this work?" Chunhua asked herself as she scanned her bracelet. The scanned only turned red though, signalling that she was denied entry.

"I guess not." Chunhua mumbled, turning around but was shocked by the presence behind her. "Kun!"

"You should be sleeping, no?" Kun asked, hands slipped in his pockets as he stared at her.

Chunhua awkwardly rubbed the back of her neck. "I had trouble sleeping, so I decided to roam around."

"I see." Kun said, nodding his head. Even with Chunhua's skill, she found it difficult to determine whether Kun was mad at her for trying to access whatever was on the other side of the door.

"Maybe a cup of tea will help." Kun suggested. "Follow me."

Chunhua walked with the Head of Intelligence, not wanting to go against his orders. She quickly recognized the cafeteria, the two of them entering and Kun requesting for a cup of tea for Chunhua.

That's when Chunhua realized that Kun was there with her in the training facility, not at the headquarters.

"Kun-ge, what brings you here?" Chunhua asked. "I thought you worked at the headquarters."