Chapter fifteen

I froze. My eyes met with deep oceanic eyes. Stephano.
I didn't know if to cry or to laugh. If I should be scared or relieved.
I knew this was all part of this Mafia thing and he was part of it.

"Ariana." Fury burned in his eyes.

In all my fear, I still realized it was one of the few times he said my name.

"What the hell were you thinking?!" He yelled, I knew it wasn't really a question I could answer right now.

"Are you out of your goddamn mind? Do you know what could have happened to you?" He yelled angrily.

I didn't answer, I felt tears drip from my eyes before my head hurt badly and soon I could only see black.
_________________________

When I opened my eyes I was starring right into the eyes of an angry Stephano. He was seating right in front me. My brain scanned through my sorroundings wondering how I got here, I was in a room, with navy blue curtains and sheets. It was late at night and the coolness of the breeze made me feel chilly.
My eyes met Stephano's angry ones again. And then immediately it all came back to me.

Fear flashed in my eyes for a brief second and I hid it immediately.

"Stephano..." I said, I noticed my voice was dry and croaky.

He simply pointed at the glass of water on a table beside the bed. I grabbed it, gulping the contents down.

I dropped the glass, wiping my lips with my palm. My eyes never leaving his icy ones.

"What were you thinking?" He asked. His voice was cool, calm, the direct opposite of his eyes.

"I am sorry Sir, I just..." I tried to explain, he cut me in.

"There you go with the "sir" just tell me what the fuck you were thinking when you left the car." He spat, anger dripping from his voice.

"I was going to look for you." I answered calmly.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because I am your bodyguard and I ought to protect you." I answered.

He huffed, he looked away. He ran his hand through his hair, messing it up before tugging it harshly.

"You are crazy, woman." He sighed. "I gave clear instructions for you to wait. You ought to protect me, well look how the tables turned."

I sighed.

"Now I am protecting you." He huffed, "if you had just listened."

"You didn't have to protect me." I said, regretting it instantly.

His eyes darkened a shade.

"Why did you even do so?" I asked.

"Yeah... Why did I do so? Why did I lose my mind looking for an ungrateful bitch like you when I could have left you there to get fucked till your cunt turns into a well." He snarled.

I shuddered a bit, not sure if it was the cold or my fear. I kept silent.

"Do not speak of this incident with anyone." He warned.

I nodded stiffly.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"Home." He answered.

"In your room?" I asked.

"Yes." He answered.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Maybe one in the morning." He answered.

"Oh... Okay." I answered. "Was.... That place...?" I didn't know how to ask.

"Yes. My father owns it." He answered, reading my mind.

I breathed deeply. I remember the faces of the girls and how it still haunted me.

"Will you like something to eat?" He asked in monotone.

I nodded stiffly.

His hair was messy, he was still in his suit but he still looked as glorious as ever.

He might have saved me today, but he could never save those girls, those poor girls.

He walked out the room, few minutes later he came back with a tray. He walked up to me, laying it on my lap.

"Toast bread and juice. It's the best I can offer right now." He spoke.

I hungrily dug in, eating and sipping the juice. I didn't realize he was watching me all along until I was done eating.

I looked up at him. His captivating eyes were still looking at me.

"Thank you." I whispered. "For the meal... And for saving me."

He nodded slightly.

"But... Why are you serving me?" I asked.

"Would you have rather preferred I let you starve?" He ask in that his neutral voice.

I frowned a bit and wiped it off my face immediately. This man was a puzzle.

"So... I guess I can get back to my room now?" I asked.

"If you wish." He replied.

I took the tray, placing it on the table, I lifted the sheets noticing I was still in the stripper clothes.

I tensed, but I had to get up at some point. So I slid my legs off the bed and got off.

His eyes scanned me carefully.

I didn't sense lust in him, I could see... Pity but it was gone as soon as it came and he looked away from me. I then noticed I had few red imprints on my body from being grabbed.

"Good night." I said as I walked out of his room, going into the room opposite, my room.

It was just as I left it. I peeled off my clothes immediately, hopping into the shower.

I scrubbed my body roughly, trying to wash off my disgust.
I dried myself. And slid under my covers willing myself to sleep. I was awake for a while, starring out at the moonlight but soon I felt sleepy and I dozed off.

_________________________
"Mummy! No, don't let them take me." The little girl whimpered clinging unto her mother.
But the man grabbed her arms, tugging her off swiftly.
Tears dripped from the eyes of the woman.
"Give me back my daughter you cruel man." She wailed.
But the faceless man didn't listen. The little girl was dragged away as she screamed and yelled.
She was only ten, and soon they had taken her far from her mother, she was used as a thief. She will steal for them, help them transport drugs. She was starved, beaten and abused. All the time she will scream for her mother, but she never saw her again.
__________________________

I stirred, getting up the bed. Goosebumps appeared on my skin. The nightmares were back. I took off the sheets, climbing off the bed. It was morning.

I heard a small knock on the door.

"Come in." I answered.

Stephanie rushed in.

"Oh Ariana, are you alright? You were unconscious when Stephano carried you in last night." She gushed, her eyebrows were creased in worry.

"What happened?" She asked.

"Nothing serious, I dunno... I fell asleep." I lied hoping she couldn't see through it.

She starred at me for a while.

"Okay... I will take your word for it." She said.

I smiled.

"Well... Shall we go down for breakfast?" She asked.

"Of course." I nodded.