Ch. 3: Smiles and Panic

"When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew." -William Shakespeare

Aadhira was laying in bed waiting for sleep to overcome her, but worry was etched into her forehead crinkles. She was thinking- overthinking- pretty much every encounter today. She hugged Luna tighter remembering how she hit her head on the bed, stuttered, tripped into the dining hall, and failed to perfectly say her order to the workers. It was all vividly there in her head, trying to convince her to stay in bed for the rest of her life, but Aadhira knew she couldn't.

"Shut the hell up and go to sleep. I literally can't with your ass. What's happened has happened, and you can't do anything about it so stop wasting my time bitch. You got shit to do tomorrow, and," Aadhira quickly did the math, "four hours and twenty-three minutes of sleep ain't gonna get you nowhere, but back in bed."

After dinner Aadhira watched Netflix and then spent three hours calling most of her extended family, showing them her room, and relaying most of everything that had occurred. She knew her parents expected her to call them, and escape was not an option yet or maybe ever.

Aadhira tossed and turned until she settled into a dream filled with cheesy romance. This was often her cure for sleepless nights. She'd insert in her current crush's face or just leave it empty and open for the imagination, and then fall in love- over, and over, and over again.

The nerves in her stomach disappeared, and sleep pushed her eyelids closed with a soft heaviness. Tomorrow was a big day, her first adventure.

                                                                                        🤍🤍🤍

Aadhira woke up sleepy on a bright Sunday morning, and like she had done almost every Sunday for the past eighteen years, she got ready to visit the temple. It had just become a part of her routine. As much as Aadhira hated following her parents rules, she actually enjoyed going to the temple. The peaceful quietness was calming and the bright celebrations filled her with joy.

Grudgingly she pulled herself up and slammed the alarm clock off, before venturing off to her bathroom to shower and change. After twenty minutes and a boiling hot shower Aadhira stepped out of the bathroom with her hair twisted up in a towel and a black churidar that fit tightly around her torso. The pants were form fitted and the dupatta was colored with blue, yellow, pink, black ,and white.

Aadhira flipped her head over and began drying it with her towel as she checked the clock to see if she was on time

Aadhira flipped her head over and began drying it with her towel as she checked the clock to see if she was on time. She had enough time to get ready in peace, grab breakfast, catch the bus, and be early.

Leaving her hair to air dry, Aadhira started on her lacking makeup skills. She professionally swiped in kanmashi, then applied chapstick and lip gloss.

She looked over her shoulder to see Daphnée sound asleep, and felt a tad jealous. Aadhira sighed and went to search for her jewelry collection. It was extensive. Years of shopping in India did that. She dug around looking for a specific set- a sliver one.