𝟭𝟯. 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗸-𝘂𝗽

Alex sighed as he set his phone down. He wished he wasn't such a jealous person, otherwise he would probably have Eileen by now and there would be no flipping out on her when she interacts with another person.

Just as he set down his phone, Jess started calling him. Alex really wasn't in the mood to talk to her, but he knew she wouldn't stop calling if he didn't pick up.

"Hey." He mumbled, as her face filled his screen.

Jess smiled her beautiful smile. "I have some news!" She said excitedly. Alex just waited for her to continue, and taking the hint she did. "I've been speaking with Karl, we're really close now, and he says he's thinking about asking out Eileen!" She shrieked with happiness.

Alex felt as if he had just been crushed by a ton of bricks. Possibly by an entire brick house. "What?" He asked in disbelief.

Jess frowned at his lack of enthusiasm. "You want her to be happy, right?" She asked. "I mean, she's gonna have to get over you eventually." She told him.

Alex gave her an odd look. "Eileen? Like me? Are you insane?" He asked, absolutely shocked at his girlfriend's assumption.

Jess laughed, ignoring his question. "Honestly, I'm not as mad as I should be. You like her too, the thing is Alex she's moving on! I realize you're using me but, Alex, I love you." She explained.

Alex stayed silent for quite a while. Jess waited patiently for his response. "I don't love you Jess." He told her.

Jess' heart shattered in front of him. She broke down into tears. "I love you! Why can't you love me? I'll let you use me for as long as you want, I'll wait! I will wait for you to love me, please Alex." Her voice died down as she begged him to love her. Alex could sense what he had done to Jess, he deeply wanted to feel bad for her and he did a little, but he also couldn't stand her begging for him to love her when he knew he couldn't.

Alex sighed. "I can't." He mumbled. "We were a mistake. We shouldn't be doing this." He told her.

Jess started crying more. "Eileen's way to fucking good for you. I don't know why you won't settle for me." Alex seemed to be a bit angered by her words. "Fuck you." She said lastly before hanging up.

Alex sighed as the call ended. "Fuck." He whispered. Now he had nobody and it was all his fault. Of course, he would find a way to blame someone else as always.

He thought about texting Jess, telling her that he could try to love her, but he had already done so much damage.

He lay on his bed in silence for a bit, he didn't know what to do. He couldn't talk to Eileen or Karl, so he had nobody.

Suddenly his phone dinged.

• • •

eileen
i forgive you
asshole

alex
i'm glad, i missed you

eileen
cool

alex
damn 💔

eileen
i'm KIDDING
i missed you too dickhead

alex
oh uh
jess and i broke up

eileen
really?

alex
yeah

eileen
i'm so sorry alex
call me if you ever need to talk

alex
yeah thanks
we weren't really a good couple anyway

eileen
i mean you guys looked nice together at least

alex
thanks?

eileen
yeah idk if that was a compliment
but i gtg karl and i have to clean up the kitchen

alex
oh ok
bye

eileen
love you alexis

alex
love you too eileen

• • •

Alex frowned at his phone screen. She would always pick Karl over him, and that hurt a lot. He would pick her over the world but she couldn't even pick him once.

But, he wasn't going to cry over it. That's something he never would ever do. He just picked up his car keys and left.

Alex needed to drive to get his mind off of all of them. Jess, Karl, and especially Eileen.