Chapter Seventeen

"Julia! I was worried that you will be late for my duel." said Peter with a sad smile on his face when I entered the room.

"I would never be late for your duel." I said and put my hands on his cheeks "Now, High King Peter, I wish you all the luck in the world and..." I leaned towards his ear and whispered softly "be careful.".

Peter smilled, kissed my forehead and said "I will be, Queen Julia, if you will be.".

I smilled "I will try my best." I answered.

"Ready?" I asked Edmund who was standing beside Peter.

Ed nodded gracefully and so we all headed outside, where we heard Narnians' joyful shoutings.

They were all so ready for the battle, although they knew that our army had less soldiers than Miraz's army. My heart was beating faster and faster every second but I didn't want to show it to everyone else.

Eventually our eyes met Miraz's and his people's eyes who were standing beside him.

I looked at Peter and he looked at me. We didn't smile, we just connected to each other. I gently put my hand on his shoulder and squeezed the rough surface of the armour.

Miraz was sitting on the chair, waiting for us in his gold armour. When he saw us he stood up.

Edmund gave Peter his sword and we heard Narnian's excited shoutings again.

Miraz took out his sword as well and headed towards Peter who took few steps closer to him.

Miraz and Peter exchanged few sentences and then it all started.

It happened so quick that I didn't even know when they were on top of their strengths to win this duel.

After a few seconds of Peter's triumph, Miraz threw his whole body on Peter's shield.

I gasped but Peter didn't seem to worry about it and continued the duel. For another few seconds, both were 'playing' with each other and then Miraz did an unpredictible move which caused Peter's helmet to fell off and his chain mail slipped away.

I grasped Edmund's hand quickly, feeling that I can faint in any minute now. Ed squeezed it tightly and hold on to it.

Peter and Miraz 'played' with each other again until Miraz put Peter to the ground. Peter threw his foot towards him but missed. 

Peter then smartly put his sword in Miraz's knee, hurting him quite badly. Miraz groaned in pain but quickly put Peter back on the ground and stepped on his shield which was just under Peter's arm. His face turned red from pain and I squeezed Ed's hand harder.

Peter stood up and both he and Miraz were breathing heavily.

"Does His Majesty need a respite?" asked Miraz under his mask.

"Five minutes?" asked Peter.

"Three." answered coldly Miraz and turned to his chair.

Suddenly we heard someone riding on a horse behind us.

Ed, Peter and I turned around to face Caspian and Susan. I took Peter's healthy arm and helped him to walk.

"Where's Lucy?" I asked Susan.

"She got through." Susan answered and we all sighed with relief.

"Thanks" Peter said to Caspian.

"You were busy." he answered with a grin.

"Keep smiling" Edmund said to Peter who immidiately turned to Narnians, raised his sword and tried to smile.

Narnians cheered once again.