Chapter Sixteen

The Telmarines. The sea of Telmarine soldiers were heading towards us with their war machines. I shivered by the very look at them.

Peter, Caspian, Edmund, Susan and Lucy were all as confused and worried as I was. We all looked at each other with panic in our eyes.

But I knew that Peter already had a plan prepared in his head.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So this is your next great plan?" Trumpkin started angrily "Sending a little girl to the darkest parts of the forest? Alone?!"

Peter made a meeting to introduce his plan how to win the battle. We were all in the Stone Table room, standing nervously, awaiting what decisions Peter will make. 

I, myself, thought that sending Lucy to find Aslan, alone, in the forests was a very dangerous idea but I knew that Peter had a reason to go up with this plan.

"It's our only chance." Peter answered coldly.

"And she won't be alone." Susan added.

"I will come with you then." I said in a decided tone and walked towards Lucy and Susan.

"No, Julia, you are needed here, with Peter and others." Susan said calmly and grinned to me "You are one of our best swordsmen." 

I smilled at the compliment "Alright, then, I suppose you're right." I answered and sighed.

"Haven't enough of us died already?" said Trumpkin in a hopeless voice looking at Lucy.

His face showed so much sadness and seriousness, that I felt my heart melting under the sound of his dear grumpy voice.

"Nickabrick was my friend too." interrupted the Budger sitting next to Edmund "But he lost hope, Queen Lucy hasn't and neither have I." the Badger said.

We heard someone taking out his sword.

"For Aslan." said Reepicheed with his small sword in his hand and he bowed in front of us.

"For Aslan." the bear followed his friend.

We all looked at Peter's concerned face. He was looking directly at Lucy, and we all knew that his decision will be made.

"Then I'm going with you." said Trumpkin looking at Lucy.

"No," Lucy answered kindly putting her hand on his shoulder "We need you here."

"We have to hold them off before Lucy and Susan come back." Peter said.

"If I may," Caspian suddenly stood up "Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer but as a King he is so addicted to the traditions and expectations of his people, that is one in particular that may buy us some time." Caspian ended with a smirk crossing his lips.

-----------------------------------------------------------

And so Edmund was sent with the letter from High King Peter to Miraz. 

We thought that maybe Miraz will change his mind after all about the battle. But actually deep undearneath we all knew there was no hope for that.

At least we got some time to prepare our people for a fight. 

Armours were sent, and so were the swords and bows with arrows.

I found Peter walking down the hall already dressed in his armour.

"There you are!" I said and he turned around.

He smilled to me and came closer "How are you feeling?" he asked in a caring voice.

"Scared I suppose." I answered and I felt my hands shaking from the thought of my every friend and Narnian fighting in any minute to their deaths.

And especially the Pevensies...

Peter must have felt my hands trembling and quickly embraced me with his strong arms.

I sighed heavily.

"Julia, remember, nothing will happen to any of us. Not to me, you, Susan, Lucy, Edmund, Caspian... Nothing will happen, trust me." Peter whispered in my ear.

"How do you know?" I whispered back and felt tears flowing down my cheeks, I pulled back to look at him "I don't have friends in London, I never had. Only during my reign here in Narnia, I had just a few friends dear to my heart, but they are all gone now." I said and then put my hands on his cheeks "Now I have you, my real first 'earthly' friends who are so wonderful in every way... And you Peter... You are the most special one. I can't bear the thought that..." I started but didn't finish because I choked with tears.

"Dear Julia... Please don't think about it that way. What happened to the Queen who won the Victory Battle and killed the dragon?" Peter said in a very kind and friendly voice, he put his hands around me "What happened to Queen Julia the Dashing who is so brave and stubborn?" he asked with a smile on his face.

I smilled too and he wiped away my tears "Darling, nothing will happen to any of us and nothing will happen to you, I won't allow it. But I want you to know that I truly love you, even if we know each other for not a very long time, I feel as if we met years ago." Peter said and kissed my both cheeks and forehead.

"I have exactly the same feeling. And I do love you back, my King." I whispered to him and giggled. 

All my worries vanished like a broken silence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 We were all laughing, hearing about Edmund's meeting with Miraz.

"And his face! He was so angry and his face just turned completely red!" Edmund said to all of us and we laughed again.

"Ed, I didn't know you were such a joker!" I said to him and Edmund put his hand on my shoulder.

"You learn new things everyday." he answered and again the laughter started to spread around the room.

The atmosphere before the battle was surprisingly jolly and optimistic. No one seemed to be scared or frustrated, which I took as a good sign.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Ride fast, Lucy and Susan. I will have my fingers crossed for both of you." I said caringly to Lu and Su, both already sitting on Caspian's horse.

Caspian and I went to say our goodbyes and to wish them luck. Caspian wasn't keeping his eyes off Susan.

"And so we wish you the best in the world our Julia." said Lucy and touched my hand to give me courage.

I smilled to both of them.

"You are in good hands." Caspian said touching his horse's mane.

"Or hooves." added Lucy.

Caspian and I grinned to each other.

"Good luck." he said caringly to Susan.

"Thanks." Susan replied coldly, not looking in his eyes.

I rolled my eyes. Oh, Susan! Come on!

"Look," Caspian said and took out Queen Susan's Horn "Maybe this time you should have it back."

Susan tried to grin but failed "Why won't you hold on to it? You might need to call me again." she said and then smilled faintly.

The horse rode out of the room leaving Caspian and me alone.

I looked at Caspian in the 'I know what's going on' way and he laughed and punched me friendly in my arm "Oh, shut up." he said and both of us laughed.

"Go after them, Caspian. I have a feeling you may be needed." I said to him and nodding, he came out of the room in hurry.

And I ran to find Peter before his duel with Miraz.

And my heart started to feel heavy again.