Chapter 10: Birth of a Hero: Flash.

Previously...

Kara got shot with kryptonite and fell to the ground. She went unconscious. What happened?

Kara woke up to find herself strapped to a bed with red sun lamps, which stops her powers. "Where am I?" she asked. Then someone familiar said "Relax Kara, you're safe". "Alex? I thought you were on a flight. What's going on? Where are we?" Kara questioned. "We're at a secret government facility. The DEO. Stands for Department of Extorestial Operations. This is also where I work" Alex replied.

"You work for a government facility for aliens and you didn't tell me? What happened to your job at medical school?" Kara asked. "I haven't worked there for a while. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but I wanted to protect you. Clearly I didn't do a good job since you revealed yourself to the world" Alex said. "I thought I was helping people. Why am I here?" Kara questioned. Then J'onn came in his human disguise. "Because we needed to make sure you aren't a threat. That's we do here. We protect people from alien life" J'onn said.

"I'm not a threat. I just want to help people and be the hero National City needs" Kara said. "Come with us. Want be a hero, then we might need your help" J'onn said. Kara followed J'onn and Alex who were showed her around the DEO. Alex took Kara to the med bay to see she's okay after being hit with kryptonite.

"Everything seems to be good. Nothing permanent. At least physically. You okay after Barry being in a coma?" Alex asked. "I don't know. I mean, I feel like it's my fault. I'm out there saving people and Barry's the one person who I couldn't save. It's my fault he's in a coma" Kara said. "Kara, you feel guilty. But it's not your fault with Barry being in a coma. You did your best to save him, and I think he knows" Alex said. "It's not just that, Alex. I honestly don't know what I would do without him. I feel lost" Kara said.

"It's been 3 years since you guys talked. And now you feel lost? I don't understand" Alex said. "No Alex, I've always been lost without him. He was my best friend. He still is and no matter what happened between us, I always thought me and him would be together" Kara said. "I'm not a hero, Alex" she said.

Kara went to CatCo to continue working. Cat Grant wanted to see her. "So Kira, what do you think of Supergirl?" she asked. "I'm not sure. She probably feels she isn't the hero National City needs" Kara replied. "I understand why she would think that. I mean, she is Superman's cousin afterall. But that doesn't mean everyone should have high expectations of her. She's a newbie at this" Cat said. "Yeah but, she did make a mistake" Kara said. "So? That doesn't matter. Everyone makes mistakes. Superman makes mistakes. I make mistakes, which is probably surprising to you. Everyone makes mistakes in their life, but that doesn't mean they can just give up. People learn from the mistakes they make. The struggles, she has to learn that she loses faith in herself, then everyone will lose faith in her" Cat said.

"Do you think people can forgive her?" Kara asked. "I don't know. That's up to the citizens of National City. I just hope they can trust her" Cat replied.

Back in Star Labs in Central City, Barry could hear faint voices. It was two men. Barry took a deep gasp of air and shot up from his coma. "Mr Allen, you're finally awake" they said. "Harrison Wells?" Barry questioned. "Yes. You've been in a coma for nine months now. Easy does it" Wells said. Then Barry saw his dad. "Dad?" Barry asked. "Barry! Oh thank God you're okay" Henry said while hugging Barry. "What happened?" Barry asked. "You were hit by lightning" Wells replied. "Why do I hear people shouting?" Barry asked.

"When the Accelerator exploded, the explosion caused some people to gain special abilities" Henry replied. "Like your super speed" Barry said. Then Barry realised what he just said. "Don't worry. I know all about what's been going on" Wells said. "The people you hear are people who have used their abilities to cause harm and break the law" Henry said. "Your father has been using his speed to help Central City" Wells said. "Yeah. But the last one was tough. My back's been acting up a bit" Henry said.

Then Barry saw that everyone and everything around him slowed down for a few seconds. Then time began running as normal. "You okay?" Henry asked. "I swear time just slowed down for a little bit" Barry replied. Wells sat Barry down and decided to run a few tests. "Has that ever happened to you, Henry?" Wells asked. "I think so. When I got my powers time did slow down for a bit. But, my wife's research showed that it would be impossible for Barry to gain my powers" Henry replied.

"Well, I think the lightning did more than put you in a coma" Wells said. "What, it gave me my dad's speed?" Barry questioned. "I don't think it gave you them. That lightning hit made the impossible possible. The lightning must've kick started your powers to their full potential" Wells said. "So, he's like me?" Henry asked. "I would think so" Wells said. Then the alarm in Star Labs went off. "What's that?" Barry asked. "Meta-human alarm. My back's acting up. There's no way I can battle" Henry said.

"I can. I'll take him on" Barry said. "No no absolutely not!" Henry shouted. "Henry. I know you don't want him out there but we have no other options" Wells said. "Fine. But before you go, you need a suit. Here. This wasn't my size but it might be yours" Henry said. "Perfect" Barry said. Barry ran out of Star Labs, defeated the meta-human and placed him inside the meta-human prison with the others. "Amazing! He is fast, agile and well balanced" Wells exclaimed.

"With some training, you can become the hero Central City needs. You're right. I wonder what else I can do. But first, I need to do something" Barry said. Barry sped out of Star Labs and headed to National City. "Where's he going?" Wells said. "Getting her" Henry replied. Kara was in the coffee shop getting Cat Grant's regular order. "Hello, is Miss Grant's order ready?" Kara asked. The waitress was getting it. Then Barry came in. "Barry? Oh thank rao you're okay!" she exclaimed.

"I don't believe it! How long have you been up?" she asked. "A few hours. The people at Star Labs needed me to stay sort some things out. But anyway, I'm here" he said. "I needed to see you. Wells and my dad told me you visited me almost everyday and I thought you should thank you in person" he said. "I'm so happy you're okay. Um, I'm sorry for what happened between us those years ago, I was scared" Barry said. "Yeah, me too. I guess we were scared of letting the other one down" she agreed.

"Do you want to maybe, get a few drinks later?" Kara asked. "Sure. I'd like that" he replied. "Great. I'll see you in Central later" she said. Then she left for CatCo.

Meanwhile at the DEO, J'onn and Alex were discussing Kara.

"She doesn't believe she can do it" Alex said. "She just needs an extra push. Talk to her. I'm sure she'll come around" J'onn said. "I tried but she won't listen to me" she said. "Well, maybe she needs to hear it from someone else" J'onn suggested. "You're right, that could be what gets her to do it. But I don't understand why it's so important for Kara to become a hero" Alex said. "Because, with what's coming, is something the DEO can't handle alone. We need Supergirl" J'onn said.

"I think she needs more time. I know Kara better than anyone, and when she puts her mind to something she doesn't give up. I think she just needs something to show her that she can do it... and get her to believe in herself again" Alex said. "You really think giving her time will be effective?" J'onn asked. "I do, sir yes" she replied. "Very well, you're dismissed" he said. Alex left.

Kara arrived in Star Labs to meet Barry. And what she saw, she couldn't believe it. "Barry! Damn you're quick" she said. "Kara! How much did you see?" Barry questioned. "Ah! This is Supergirl! Pleasure to meet you. J'onn had very few words to say" Wells said. "Who's J'onn?" Barry asked. "The director of the Department of Extorestial Operations or DEO for short" Wells replied. "You're an alien?! Cool! So you can fly and shoot lasers out your eyes?" Barry asked.

"Yeah" Kara said. "Anyway, I thought you guys were heading out" Henry said. "Oh right. Come on, Kara. I'll show you a great bar that just opened" Barry said. "So, my son is going out with Supergirl. Amazing" Henry said. "Yes. And with what's coming, the Flash and Supergirl will need to be at their best to save our cities" Wells said.

What is coming?

To be continued...