Chapter 8

Maliyah

Hey y'all, it's been a long time since y'all heard from me huh ?

Well let me tell you about how my life has been for the past 12 years.

Me and Carter got married 2 years after we met. We was on and off, so we decided to break up for a couple months to get our headspace together.

2 years after we got married, we had a baby girl. Leilani. Nini was so excited to have a little sister.

I'm 34 now and I'm done having kids to be honest. 2 girls is already enough.

Me and Carter are doing good by the way. Our children really bring us closer.

I was reading a little book I got from this girl I work with.

I heard a door open.

"Hey mom" Lei said.

"Hey baby you ok ?" I asked putting my book down.

"Yeah I just wanted to talk to you, you the only person I'm open with" she shrugged.

"Right, so what's up ?" I asked.

"Do you think I'm weird ? Like a weirdo ?" She asked.

I shook my head.

"No I don't think you a weirdo, because I was you once. I didn't like talking to people, I was a introvert. I loved enjoying time by myself. I hated noise." I told her.

"But I don't have no friends, the only friend I have is Laysia" she looked down.

"You only 12 baby. You gone make a lot of friends and you also gone lose a lot of friends. Having your circle small is good because people can back door you. You'll figure what it means to back door somebody when you grow up. Just keep your circle as small as possible. If it means have only one friend ? So be it." I said.

"You right. Plus you and her are my only besties" she shrugged.

"Yeah baby, so stop putting your head down. Come on let me show you something" I said getting up and going to our master bathroom.

She followed me.

We stood in the mirror together.

"What do you see ?" I asked.

"Me" she said.

"Duhh you see you, but what do you see" I asked putting emphasis on the what.

"I see a pretty girl" she smiled a little.

"Yes. You are gorgeous. Don't force anyone to be your friend. Let it come naturally. I used to be the same way. Friends come and go. The real ones stay." I nod as I look at her through the mirror.

"Thank you mama. I'll take your advice" she hugged me.

"Ok baby I love you." I hugged back.

"I love you too, I'm finna go take a nap before Laysia comes over" She said leaving the bathroom.

"Alright" I nod getting back in bed to read my book.

She nodded and left out the room.

I wonder why she asked me that ? I should've asked.

Me as a mother, I never want my girls to feel weird because the way they are beautiful, beyond beautiful.

She my youngest and she growing up. I cant let her go down the same path I went down.

Nini been out with some boy she calling her bestie. I trust her but I definitely need to know who this chile is before Avery finds out.

Imma do that later when she comes back home.