chapter 1

Vera doesn't think she's ever really been free.

Ever since she could remember she's had to follow every word that left her parent's mouths to a T. She could never disobey the rules and would never imagine going against what her parents wanted for her or what they believed in but this burning desire to go against them took over her and she would usually always have control of it, but maybe this time that would all change.

It had been a long day, most days seemed long. Vera had been working all day in a little tattoo parlour on the left side of her town, death or glory in Doncaster and had only been working part-time shifts for work experience as much as this job tired her out she had a long going passion for art and was very creative, to say the least, this was a way to express herself, her art, her personality, purely an environment to be completely free in, and to show a side of her she didn't get to showcase often and of course to get a nice pay rise in her bank once a fortnight.

Although she was very smart and had been brought up to put her education as her number one priority, she never really cared for the bog-standard lifestyle that she saw all around her, you know what I'm talking about the old Vauxhall Vectra that smelt like cigars and toothpaste or that 9-5 job in a law firm or a job working for a business what you work so hard to get just to end up making coffees and organising files, involved so much in other peoples life's you seem to forget about your own, or the boring relationship that was created from friendship or what developed at a work event that made you realise your colleagues didn't actually live and breath in that simple white shirt and grey trousers with black waxed up shoes which made them, for the night, look extremely attractive. she didn't want to live a life not worth living because that, therefore, is just simply
existing.

But the sad truth is that was the life that her parents lived, her grandparents, her neighbours, her friends, god this whole damn town had their expectations so low and life engraved into stone, but you know that not every story is the same? and this most certainly was not at all what she'd ever expected.

"V are you ready? you know I have to be out of the house, I can't keep waiting on you I have shit to do"

"omg hold on I'm coming"
she exhales in a frustrated tone.

her mother was waiting impatiently at the dining room table knocking her leg up and down glaring at her as her feet trailed down the stairs one in front of the other.

"you don't have to drop me off at school you know, I do have legs"

she says as she opens her backpack and places a cold saran-wrapped sandwich in the left side pocket and a cold bottle of water in the right compact.

"I know but you have a test today, I don't want you to be late and with how cold it is out there I'd rather just know you got there safe okay"

"mum it's school I'll be safe-"
before saying another word she realised her mum was going her a favour and to stop arguing about it.
"thankyou"
"it's okay now come on let's beat the ice"
she exclaims as she quickly paces to the car in an attempt to avoid the frosty weather.

y/n was pretty used to walking to school with her best friend Sarah after all they did live close to one another it was just up the road a little white cottage to the right with a sign to the left "Bilbroth cottage" A beautiful home Sarah's family had owned for well their entire life. But it's okay I'm sure she'd understand especially with the weather I'll be surprised if she isn't getting a lift.

Vera got to school at around 8:30 as always she was pretty on time, after all, she wasn't a really unorganised person that's the thing with parents they always expect their children to be messy and not to plan but she was rather the opposite, but even so, her parents still held a lot of control over her,

Like a puppet on a string.