chapter 2

"and the answer is no"

"come on think about it you can put a cute outfit on and oh put a robe over and ugh oh say your sleeping at mine and we can go out. I'm telling you they won't suspect a thing"

Sarah says this confidentially as if they haven't been busted before, I mean it was in primary school. They had known each other since the first day of nursery and the bond between them had been very strong but came from this was definitely a mischievous mindset. This one day, in particular, they snook out at break time through a gap in the fence and ate lunch next to the field I mean in all fairness it wasn't the worst they could do but for them, this was a huge deal and especially when all 4 parents got called to the office, sat waiting for an explanation.

"Sarah I can't, we got up to no good when we were KIDS were grown up now and sneaking out to eat my ham sandwich 5 metres from the school and sneaking out to a nightclub in the middle of town with you is not the typical thing I wanna get punished for, plus it's a school night"

"UGHHHHHHHH fine. Fine, whatever you be boring on your Monday night with NO plans whatsoever I'll be waiting outside your house if you not out by 8 pm I'll go without you. Deal?"

"I told you I'm not coming so there's no point waiting"

she says this with chest knowing full well she really wanted to go I mean after all she felt that your teenage years was where you made your memories, the sneaky ones your not suppose to tell anyone about, the ones you typically don't remember mostly because you was too drunk too or because of the pure embarrassment, you got from the night. Either way, she really wanted to go but knew she had to make a responsible decision plus it was an unnecessary argument with her parents that she could do without.

Making her way to her English class a fading voice in the background hasn't gone unnoticed, It was Sarah.

"you never know might meet your prince charming"

she laughs it off quietly under her breath shaking her head at the comment.

The day went by quite quickly, she had her favourite classes, English literature, art, photography, RE and sport. The day had gone pretty boring, to say the least, apart from lunch you see boys don't know how to solve problems maturely so obviously, they decided they were going to fight, but as it was lunch it turned into a food fight and was so messy you can't imagine, it didn't last for very long although my new white converse had been christened by spaghetti sauce, I was hoping that the stain would come out.

some 9th grader holding some sort of old and scratched skateboard drops it onto the floor under his feet. his voice fading into the distance as he barged my shoulder in a hurry.

"hey watch yourself"

staring at his back as he skated away

"yeah yeah whatever"

she mutters under her breath.
leaving school was like Christmas morning, it literally felt amazing. It wasn't the lessons she didn't enjoy she loved her subjects, not the teachers either they were rather interesting but the students. The boys were so insensitive to anything that comes out of their mouth very immature and with no common sense insight and let's not forget the girls, petty and dramatic, very self-absorbed and talk about everyone's business like they had any involvement in the first place. Nevertheless, it was the end of the day and she wanted to get home in time for tipping point.

and there arguing again, they had been a lot of arguments ever since my dad got a new job at the law firm. Mum seems to always have something to nag on about I always thought it was down to being stressed or maybe the change was unsettling for her but I can tell she wasn't purposely trying to disagree with him, and he definitely didn't want to continue with her but it was unfinished. What had I walked in on?

d- "you always decide what's going on in this house I feel I have no control"

m- "well maybe if you started to make decisions for yourself someone wouldn't have to"

d- "you're a complete control freak nothing's ever good enough for you is it"

mum decided to stay quiet on this one, knowing he definitely had a point but she wasn't settling.

d- "we can talk about this later I'm not having my daughter uncomfortable in her own house"

Their eyes move towards me as my presence was mentioned, I was in fact uncomfortable not because of the argument itself but because they always found a way to involve me and usually it was to end the conversation so I chose to stay silent. walking over to the fridge and taking out a large plastic-wrapped box of seasonal strawberries, they were amazing so fresh and red. Maybe this was a bad time to mention the 'sleepover' then again with how high tension was it probably smarter to just ask about the nightclub.

The rage in the room had cooled down now, the room felt like it was filled with heat coming from both mum and dad but they didn't look like they had the energy to continue. Dad had moved into the seating area in the conservatory just by the door springing open the recliner and opening a can of lager as he turned on football.

"sooo Sarah invited me out toni-"

"on a school night?!"

her mum blurs out before she could even finish her sentence, her tone sounded confused yet rather annoyed that y/n had even bothered asking.

"well yeah, but I'll be with Sarah the entire night, I'll obviously be safe, I'll have my phone on all night so you can message me or ring me whenever you want t-"

"you can go"

Vera looked up in confusion she hasn't even finished better yet hadn't had the 'i'm old enough speech' she didn't know if her dad said yes because he was trying to piss off his wife or because he actually wanted her to go and didn't mind, but without wasting any more time and letting them think about it anymore

"thank you dad your the best"

as nudging him playfully with my elbow but as the words left my mouth I looked over to mum. Liz pulled an annoyed look at her husband but didn't look interested in continuing a battle she had beforehand lost.

"if you need anything or need picking up let me know"

her mum says gently as she walks to the cupboards debating on whether she wanted a glass of white wine or red.

"I will mum I love you"

Vera said staring at her mum intensely with a comforting tone and a gentle smile.

"have fun baby"

mum smiled at me but I could see the tired in her eyes but her smile as big and beautiful as it always had been.
slowly walking upstairs not focusing on anything but a million items of clothes and different combinations ran around my head in circles I was so excited.