Epilogue

“Home sweet home.”

I put down the suitcase I’m holding and groan as I look around the room. There are boxes still everywhere, the apartment is a wreck and now we have to unpack too. I don’t really care that it looks a mess, just that I know that we’ll have to tidy everything up. Normally, I would just sort of ignore it, but I can barely move for all the boxes.

“Oh, by the angel: the apartment.” I groan.

“I know, it looks terrible.” Magnus replies with a sigh.

“And it will take forever to clean.” I add.

Magnus smiles.

“Close your eyes.” He tells me and I give him a puzzled look.

“Hm? What?” I ask, confused, but he just repeats his request. I obediently shut my eyes.

There’s an unsettling whooshing noise, then I feel what seems to be a rush of wind blowing past me.

I squeeze my eyes shut to stop me opening them automatically to see what’s going on.

“Magnus…what…?” I ask, but he cuts me off.

“Okay, okay, open.”

I open one eye sceptically, and immediately open the other, my mouth falling open. The apartment, now no longer scattered with boxes, is perfectly neat. The contents of the boxes are now unpacked, my possessions back on the shelves where they belong, and the books and papers that were strewn everywhere are now neatly piled on the coffee table.

“Wow. How did you-?” I breathe.

Magnus shakes his hands out, shedding sparks, smirking happily. The glow around his fingers dims and I finally understand.

“Magic.” He smiles.

It’s so infuriating living with a High Warlock when my own powers are so limited. I may as well not even have magic, I’m that bad. I huff, a mixture of impressed and irritated.

“But seriously,” I say. “How do you do that?”

“A magician never reveals his secrets.” He smirks, tapping the side of his nose mysteriously. I roll my eyes, smiling. 

I scan the room and my gaze falls on the still-closed suitcase, which is – I suspect – still packed.

“But you couldn’t have that one case,” I joke. “With all the all powerful magic in your possession?”