Chapter 9

Breakfast for vampires, it turns out, is very similar to dinner for vampires; a bottle of blood, and an offer of a regular drink. However, as I’ve only been a vampire a few months, I can’t quite stomach a coffee yet, so I stick with the blood. As I sit, listening and not participating to Matt and Anya’s conversation, there’s a commotion at the other end of the table.

“What is this vegetarian crap?!”

I lean back to see a huge blonde guy, built like a tank and twice as deadly-looking, stand up and slam his bottle of blood down in disgust. Vampire, I think to myself.

“Chris, you are here to learn to control your bloodlust. By giving you animal blood you are learning not to drink the blood of the mundane.” An older girl, maybe 25, says. She must work here.

“Vegetarian crap.” He mumbles, and sits back down.

“Idiot.” Matt says, under his breath.

“Like, I totally get what he means by ‘vegetarian’. But he literally just used the antonym of vegetarian to explain how he’s a vegetarian.” Anya says, rolling her eyes.

I grin at her and her eyes catch on my fangs.

“Is the blood really that bad?” she asks.

I shake my head.

“No, I prefer animal blood.” I tell her, and then watch as Matt reaches over and neatly plucks the bacon from Anya’s plate and eats it.

I expect her to protest, but she just continues eating her toast, which she has cut neatly into triangles.

“You’re insane, you know that?” Matt tells Anya, finishing the last strip of bacon.

I look between them, confused.

“I’m a vegetarian.” She tells me, and glances at Chris down the table. Then she winks at me. “An actual vegetarian.”

I laugh, and finish the bottle of blood.

As I file from the room with the others, the girl who talked to Chris earlier grabs my arm.

“One second, Loss. You’re coming to meet your mentor. You can go to training after.”

Since it’s a hot day, especially for autumn, I’m not too sad about having to miss running about and getting even hotter. I nod to Anya and Matt and follow the girl down the corridor. She stops outside a room with a plaque on the door reading, ‘Consultation Room 3’. She knocks on the door and wanders off.

“Come in!” a voice calls from within the room.