Friend

Fidgeting with my pen in my fingers. My gaze was blank. But my head was busy. Internally. Searching for files from online sources about my origin.

Project 37.

A deep yet soft sigh came out of my system with silhouettes of information displayed in my vision. But little to none was found. A bit clueless myself of where to start searching from, I started to glance my gaze at the Chief's office. And I saw her, sorting through each paper while sometimes going on tangents with her computer.

With a bowl of salads in her hands, I chuckled at how she munches her healthy salads, and my head shook slightly.

Right, Project 37. Have I gone too far back through time?

My vision was full of it. Information. Data and Research. Classified ones. There were none. I was a bit surprised at this fact, but I still remember. I opened my eyes and my professor told me it was 2020.

30th June 2020.

I still remember that date very vividly in my computers. My fist crumpled with spark exploding under these artificial tissues.

Frustration.

My computers kept repeating that word over and over as I heard a sound coming at the background. "Nde?!" Quickly responding to person who called me, "Oh? Senior Officer Park?"

"Your patrol is on now! Go follow Officer Yoo! She's already up ahead!"

"Nde, sunbae-nim!!" Promptly getting off from my seat and going outside of the station, I found Jeongyeon who's already sitting inside her patrol car. "Yah! Sinbyeong!" I jogged towards her car and hopped inside.

[...]

"It's very silent today." Jeongyeon said, "you are very silent. What's wrong?"

I took a side-glance at her, "parents? Lovers?" Shaking my head slightly and biting my nail as my arm leaning to the window. "your face tells me you have some problem with your girlfriend." A glance at her flashed her teasing smirk. "No... no, I don't have a girlfriend."

"Wife then."

"No."

"What then? Tell me?" She gave a side-glance to me while I paid no attention to her question and the conversation was dead.

But after four to eight blocks away, she repeated her question. "Why do you care so much about it?" Reluctance ringed over my voice. A slight agitation sparked under my artificial flesh. "Whow! Hey! Calm down! I was just concerned about you. I'm not trying to invade your personal bubble. Just thought I could- maybe give you some advice."

"Oh really?" Rolling my eyes up as I turned to look at her. "So you are telling me that you want to motivate me?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Really? You're already way too supportive to me for the past weeks now." I chuckled, "are you trying to be my mother or something?"

"If you view me as your mom then that is fine too."

"Wow, that- that made me uncomfortable." My finger pointed at her. Both of us cracked a good laugh.

"To be honest, I don't know, Jeongyeon-ssi.—"

"Uh-uh, stop. Don't use honorifics with me. Haven't we talked about this?"

"—right, fine. I don't know. My wife was murdered. And my daughter is too.—"

"Aw- is this the reason why you're signing up to be an officer? Are you trying to catch the killer?" Jeongyeon cut my sentence twice this time. "Are you going to cut me off if my sentence every time I'm finished with a line?"