Park Hyung Seok

Your POV

"Why did he keep glancing at you back there?" Taekyeon asked with his thumb pointing back at the place we just got out of.

"The guy told me he doesn't know anything despite his co-workers are murdered in front of him." Eunwoo pocketed his small notebook inside his suit pocket. "Sounds very fishy to me. It's like the killer told him not to speak anything of it."

"That is why we need to torture him to spill the information for us." Gritting his teeth, Taekyeon's eyes were bursting in rage. "Geuman meomchuji mala. (Stop, stop it.)" Stopping Taekyeon from throwing his fist at Eunwoo's face, I stood in between and faced Taekyeon who's slightly shorter than me. I took a few steps forward to separate them slightly afar. "So, what are we going to do with this then?"

"We can always check the security footage."

"IF we can get it from the government and they let us." Taekyeon shoved me aside and swiftly grabbed the collar of Eunwoo's jacket. "Our job could've been much easier if we had it my way." Pulling away Taekyeon from Eunwoo, my computer breached the government server database and located the footage file. Ordering a command from my thoughts, the silhouette in my vision prompts me with successful file deletion.

"You two just won't stop fighting, won't you?" Jeongyeon smacked their shoulders, especially Taekyeon's. She gave him the hardest smack almost knocking him down to the ground. "Let's just focus on the ways we could possibly do at the moment and then work our way around if it's not available." Jeongyeon sounded mature enough to become the leader of this investigation despite her position as an officer.

[...]

Chaeyoung's POV

Throwing a handful of documents on my desk, I pulled my chair and sat at my desk. "God, I'm frustrated." My fist slammed on my desk a few times. So apparently, the government doesn't have security footage of last night's espionage. And when I told them it was espionage, they continued nagging on me to finish the investigation as quickly as possible.

I scattered the pile of documents on my desk and scrutinized the details of this secretive government project for national security and defence. They build lots of different kinds of weapons. From autonomous vehicles equipped with anti-tank missiles. Autonomous drones for civilian surveillance. To androids, cyborg and mecha.

"What were they thinking of creating all of this?" Dragging all the autonomous vehicles and drones' files, I read carefully about the ones talking about android, cyborg and mecha. This project and experiment have been going for years. With lots of money and energy have been disposed of, their preparations have begun a long way.

In order to create this cyborg, android, and mecha for combat purposes, they needed human subjects. But since the parties have different opinions, they agreed to use deceased ones or dying people. For example, victims of car crashes, aeroplane crashes, and even natural disasters. They thought giving those victims hopes of a second chance was morally acceptable. And so, they've done that for decades but still, none have succeeded.

I looked into the files of every subject. Every time greeted with each of their photos from their shoulders up until I saw something very, very odd. A photo of our recent recruit with his name 'Park Hyung Seok'.

Park Hyung Seok. Age 35. A deceased of a recent plane crash 24th July 2020.

His hair. His cheekbones. His jawline looked the same. Met with that reality, I gasped softly and clenched my jaw. "Does he have a family?" Scrubbing through the pile of documents I've got; I found nothing and went to my computer to search through the civil registry documents that I've gained access to from the government. "Park Hyung Seok." Muttering his name to remind myself of what he looks like, I scrolled through infinite lists of Park Hyung Seok's and eventually, found him.

"Date of birth 19th March 1985. Son of Park Taeyang and Bae Soo Yun." Reading what's in the document, the records showed this man lived in a stable household and the man himself has actually served in the army. And received many medals of honour. He's known for his marksmanship because he specialized in long-range sniping and was appointed as the specialized hunter of the army.

With his abilities, Hyung Seok broke the record of longest confirmed sniper kill with 3,495 metres shot at the age of 29 in 2014. "This guy is impressive," I mumbled to myself appreciating his achievement. "But sadly, the records were broken in 2017 with 3,540 metres long." Shrugging my shoulder, I frowned in sympathy because of how his records were broken by someone else. "But not bad," I added as I stand up from my chair and sort out the documents.

But now, I'm confused. How could a deceased man sitting in the secret government lab project be here at my precinct? I looked more into the summary of their android, cyborg, mecha project to see what they've been up to. The more I looked into it. The more I feel terrified of what they're trying to make. Their objective is to create a perfect combat android with huge firepower and high intelligence capable of solving complicated cases and neutralizing difficult situations and enemies.

Though most of their attempts were failed they've concluded that the mind is the hardest part of the human body to restore and mimic because their minds are dead. The cause of human death is in the mind. If the synapses stop sparking signals from outside to inside either opposite, the brain will no longer function, and thus human deaths occur.

The scientists who are working on this are insane. They don't believe in Gods nor souls. They only thought of human deaths are simply the lost consciousness of our brain because of no activities inside the brain. And they thought it could be revived by simply replacing their heart with an infinite power source and remodifying their brain to respond with the new electricity from its new power source.

As I was lost in my thoughts from reading the rest of the information about project 37, "chief? Burning the night hours?" I was startled at the voice coming from my door and quickly put my gaze towards a man peeking his head inside my room. "Gae sae-ggiya! Park Hyung Seok!" I scream-whispered, "Hyung Seok?" Sam Chil—or Hyung Seok—replied with a confused look on his face.

Wait, he doesn't remember his real name?

"Who's Hyung Seok, chief?" Sam Chil looked behind and around him. "Oh... Uhm... It's just a guy who happens to look like you, Sam Chil." Trying to hide his profile documents from what I got from the government, "ah, geurae... Don't overwork yourself, chief. I'm going home now." Sam Chil left, and I sighed deeply in relief. "That was so close." Slightly shaking my head, I started to tidy up my desk before going home.

[...]

"I'm beat up." Sighing as I'm throwing myself at the sofa, my body slumped into the pillows with my face buried in it. In my hand are few pages of documents regarding Park Hyung Seok, and I turned my head to rest my cheek on the softness of the sofa and paid attention to the profile picture of his military registry. This guy's definitely the same guy as our Sam Chil in the precinct.

The resemblance was unimaginable. His ambitious gaze. Yet, righteous, and realistic. His high cheekbones and strong neck with wide jawline. Could he be? I thought, but that seems impossible. He's clearly in the lab of this pesky government who think the answer to world peace is creating this android, mecha monstrosity.

[...]