.16

| Mia |

"Please. ."

"Please God. ."

Nope.

God didn't listen. It kept going.

The consistent tap tap tap of the woodpecker outside in the middle of the damn night. I felt it drilling holes in my brain!

Groaning and half asleep, I smothered my ear with the cushion but oh my God! The stupid bird kept going. Adamant on killing my eardrums.

It didn't let me sleep!

Cracking an eye open, I glanced at the wall clock .

3:30 PM.

Tap tap tap!

Sighing, I gave up on sleep and  sat up , since I had no other choice left, my back popped at the sudden movement.

I had nothing on my head.  I was staring at the wall while the bird kept doing its business. I was in this zombie- state for the last three minutes . I was groggy . I was pissed.

I needed to defrost .

It took some time. .

Just as the tap tap went up in volume . .my alert brain registered one thing.

A) The rapping didn't stop.

B) It wasn't the woodpecker!

Just as the thought filtered in my head, I cried " Shit!!" and  ripped the sheets back and quickly jumped off the bed. Sliding my feet in the flip flops. .i made a rough bun of my hair.

Shit! It was mom!

It had to be!

Hastily, I zapped past the lounge and the kitchen nearly toppling over the marble floor twice.

"Coming! " I huffed . .all the running making me breathless.

God! Mom must have been standing there since ten minutes! I was going to be grounded for life!

Without thinking, I unlatched the door and snatched it open.

My stray hair flying across my face.

"Mom! I'm sorry ! I didn't realize it's you. . ." I trailed off . Eyes going wide with disbelief.

Heart cracking at the sight in front of me.

"Zack?!!"

My voice was shrill.

He was standing on my doorstep wearing a button down black shirt over brown pants. The sleeves rolled up to his elbow. The caramel hair swept back in waves as if he pushed his hand through it several times and . .he was staring at me intensely!

Accusation in his eyes. .

As if. .I stole his car or something!

Lifting my hand, I waved in front of his face and he didn't blink.

"Yo? Home boy? What's — Zack!"

I was snatched by the wrist and pulled straight ahead! The collision powerful enough to rattle my insides! He engulfed me in a bone crushing hug! His arms going around me— my palms flat on his hard chest— him breathing me in— me trying to breath.

After a few moments I had to say it. .

"Zack, you're killing me." I breathed out. My face squished against his chest.

"You have been doing the same, Mia. " He answered in my hair and if it was even possible . .he pulled me in closer!

His scent filling up my insides. .