2. Home

As they drove into the night, it was nearing 2am, Zemo tightened his arms around Karli as she curled back into his chest, "Karli, will your friends you were with wonder where you went?" He asked softly "no... they're not really my friends they're just... they want change like I do- or did, I'm not sure what I want anymore. I never wanted it to be like this, I never even wanted the serum. I just wanted a home. A family again. But this... I don't know.... organisation I guess- they approached me and, I felt like I couldn't say no, they convinced me I needed the serum, that I had to be violent to get things done. I never wanted to set off that bomb, I didn't even know it was in the building till I got a text from 'them' with a 45 second warning. I'm just glad no one was in there to get hurt."  Bucky raised his eyes to make contact with his boyfriend through the mirror, both wide with surprise at hearing Karli was forced into this. "That's... I'm sorry they did that to you, you don't deserve that. We can protect you now if you would like. You don't ever have to do anything you don't want to, we can help you make change in official ways, peacefully okay?" Replied Zemo, knowing he had the funds to change the whole world at least 30 times over. Karli just nodded, Zemo could tell the adrenaline was wearing off, she was starting to feel the exhaustion after the shock.

The rest of the drive was relatively silent, other than the occasional sniffle from Karli and whisper from Zemo to calm her down. He could feel her slowly starting to fall asleep against him, he ran his hand up and down her back to make sure she always knew he was there.

Bucky pulled into the driveway of the outrageous mansion just out of town that the Baron insisted they stay in, (photo above) now thankful they weren't in a one room hotel. He shut off the car and got out, going round to the back door he softly opened it "I'll carry her in, I don't want to overwhelm her with the house, we can show her around in the morning" he whispered as Zemo looked up at him. His boyfriend gave him a soft smile as he slowly unwrapped his arms from Karli, "you're a good man James. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise. I love you." Replied Zemo. "I love you too babe" Bucky said softly as he reached in to pick up Karli.

She subconsciously wound her arms around his shoulders and tucked her head into his neck as he stood with her, which Zemo silently thought was maybe the most adorable thing he'd ever seen, not that he'd tell his ex-assassin boyfriend that.

Zemo let them in and turned it lock the door and make sure all the alarms were on. "She's still a little cold, and probably wants to shower before we put her in bed, we should probably wake her once we're upstairs." Said Bucky 
"I'll grab a bottle of water and some of your super soldier pain meds for her and meet you up there" Zemo agreed softly.

Bucky took her to the bedroom right across from theirs and tried to set her on the bed, "seems like we've got ourselves a tiny octopus" he thought as she wouldn't let go and whimpered when he tried to pry her hands off his shirt. He decided to just settle back against the headboard with her on his lap for now as they'd wake her soon then anyway.

A few minutes later Zemo he could hear Zemo coming up the stairs, as he entered the room he watched as his boyfriends eyes widened and a soft smile took over his face as he saw them looking so peaceful. "I hate to wake her but you're right she will feel better if she washes and takes some pain reliever" whispered Zemo as he approached the bed, setting the water and pills on the bedside table. He lowered himself onto the bed next to them as Bucky reached with his flesh hand to brush her hair away from her face. "Karli, baby wake up for us, you're safe here, c'mon" Bucky said softly, neither of them noticing the pet names slipping out.
She slowly stirred and started to open her eyes "hmmm... where are we?" She asked through a yawn.
"We're back at our house okay? You're safe, you fell asleep in the car back but we thought you'd like to shower and change before going to bed okay?" Replied Zemo.
"Okay, thank you, both of you" replied Karli as she wrapped her arms around both of them for a proper hug. Bucky and Zemo found each others eyes above her head and had a silent conversation. They knew they'd fight to keep this girl, hell they're already pretty sure love her like she's theirs.