26 - 이십육 장

(Twenty-sixth chapter)

It was parents day, a joyous celebration for both the students and the teachers to celebrate as gratitude to the parents who support their children to achieve their dreams.

Eight-year-old Sowon was extremely excited for many reasons. Firstly she was chosen to represent their whole class and perform a dance at the event. Secondly, both her parents were coming today to watch her perform and she couldn't wait to show what she had practised for the past weeks wholeheartedly.

She wanted to make everyone proud.

"And next is Han Sowon, a junior student who will perform a ballet dance representing her class."

The host announced followed by cheers and clapping. Her teachers and friends behind encouraged her good luck and Sowon went on the stage with a thumping heart.

Thump-thump.

Where were her parents? Her eyes searched two familiar figure amongst the crowd of people she hardly recognized. The people cheering lowered their voices, quietly waiting for the performance to start.

But it never came.

Sowon had not seen her parents yet and she started frowning, wondering if they were seated at the back of the hall. The audience was still quiet with confusion, wondering why the girl was not doing anything except standing.

"Sowon, start dancing!"

Looking to her right, Sowon noticed her teacher worriedly whispering from backstage. She pouted but nodded hesitantly, getting into the position of her dance.

The background music began to play and she started her dance like she had practised for day and night, mentally counting the steps.

One, two, spin, one, two, stop. Where were her parents? She was worried if they were even watching her or did they miss her show?

The music began growing louder but Sowon could hardly hear it as she could only hear her breathing and the constant beat of her heart.

Thump-thump.

One, two, one two, one, two and spin. She reached the climax along with the music, twirling for a few moments before her foot lost the balance and she suddenly fell down with a silent cry.

The crowd gasped, whispering among themselves as Sowon held her sprained ankle in pain. Burning pain ceased her body movement as she tried to help herself. Footsteps followed, teachers rushing towards her for aid.

"Sowon honey, are you okay?"

Sowon could not answer them because her heart was filled with disappointment, both in herself and her parents. After all, she didn't do well and they didn't come as both had promised.

Someone carried and took her to backstage again, trying to check her body for any more injury. Thankfully they had bandaged her ankle on time and the teacher went to bring water for the startled girl.

"You can't dance, don't humiliate your parents."

It was her classmate who spoke, scoffing at her.

"Is that called a dance? I thought a pig was trying to move."

"Tsk tsk. Look who is trying to show her talent."