Chapter Thirty: Hey Look Ma, I Made It

Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap. This wasn't good. She was probably mad at you for saying that you wouldn't be coming back for two weeks. You were going to get your ear yelled off... Should you go take the call outside, then, so that no one else could hear you get scolded? No, that was no good. The other campsites were too close, and there were all those insects out there.

Turning to Bill, you swallowed. "Sorry," you muttered. "I need to take this call real quick. Do you mind, uh, turning away for a bit? I'd like a little privacy."

He shook his head.

"Great. Thanks!" Leaning away from him, you sighed. Then, you hit the call button. "Hiiii, Mom."

"(Y/N) (L/N)," your mother said. "We need to talk."

Oh, man, were you in for it now. "Let me guess. This is about that text from this morning, isn't it? I know, I know," you said. "You must be really disappointed..."

She sighed. "Yes, I was. I really need your help here, you know! Why on earth did you change your mind? I thought that you were low on money?"

Your eyes flicked over to Bill, who was looking out the passenger window. "Well, you see... I just thought that since I went to the trouble of reserving some of these motels and campsites ahead of time, it'd be a shame to cancel those reservations. It'd be a waste of money, you know?"

She sucked in a breath. "Well, I was counting on you to come and help with (B/N) a lot sooner. Do you really have to keep going?"

"Oh, come on," you said. "It's only for about two more weeks. It can wait, can't it?"

"No, it cannot. You know your brother as well as I do," your mother scoffed. "He can't even boil water by himself. Do you really think that we can trust him to be alone for ten hours every day? Please, for the love of God, come back before he burns the house down, will you?" Her voice grew thin and strained.

"For the love of—Mom, he can't be that helpless," you replied. "He's fourteen! I mean, I was ten when you dumped him into my arms and asked me to make dinner for him every night," you hissed. "And if I can do it, so can he."

A deep sigh rang out over the line. "You know it's different. Boys... their brains mature later, you know? He can't do everything that you could—"

"Bullshit!" The word flew out of your mouth before you could stop yourself. You leaned into the phone. "What are you raising? A toddler or a teenager? He can operate a fucking microwave. He'll live!"

There was a long pause. "Young lady, I do not appreciate your tone right now," she spat into the phone. "Your father and I have been nothing but understanding when it came to you and your situation these past few summers, and we—"

A sharp laugh left you. "Ha! Understanding," you muttered. "Yes, you've been very understanding when it came to a tuition bill not landing on your doorstep. 'Sure, honey, work as many 40-hour weeks as you like during the summer!'" Your voice rose in a high pantomime of your mother's. "'As long as you make sure we don't have to pay for your college.'"

"In case you didn't notice," you continued, "I've had a pretty shitty time this past school year, okay? For once in my life, I'd like to take a fucking break!"

"Oh, you think you need a break?" Your mother's voice rose half an octave. "Honey, do you know what your father and I have done to keep this family afloat? Do you?" she hissed. "I have been breaking my back working fifty- and sixty-hour weeks so that I could keep a roof over your head and clothes on your back. The least I could get in return is you heading home to relax and watch your brother!"