Chapter Three: Wasteland, Baby!

As Bill disappeared into his room, you unlocked yours. Slinging your bags in, you strolled in and closed the door behind you.

Then, you flopped down on the bed, a huge grin spreading across your face. So. You had a travel buddy now! A cute one. A nice one. And, most importantly, one that was paying for his share of the trip, and then some more. Oh, thank goodness. Looks like you weren't going to have to go home, after all.

Oh, you couldn't wait to share this with Mabel! But first, you needed to let your mom know. After all, she was the one who'd been pestering you to come back this whole time, wasn't she? Well, better break the news to her as gently as possibly. Rolling over, you sent her a quick text:

	Then, with a squeal of delight, you pulled up Mabel's number and hit the call button

For a couple long moments, the drawn-out buzz of the dial tone sounded out as you held the phone to your ear, a little breathless. Now that you thought about it... was she available? You checked the time. Almost ten pm. She wouldn't be busy around this time, would she? No, probably not. And she certainly wouldn't be asleep. You just needed to wait and hope, that was all. With that in mind, you held your breath, waiting for her to pick up.

Then, your phone came to life with Mabel's voice. "Oh, hey there, (Y/N)! How are you—"

"Great, just great!" The words tumbled out of your mouth. "Mabel. Mabel. You won't believe it. I," you said, "managed to get a new travel buddy!"

"A new—? Oh my gosh, that's great! Who? How'd you find them? What are they like? Are they sticking around for the whole trip? Oh, I hope they are. Am I gonna meet them when you come get me?"

"Whoa, whoa, slow down, one question at a time," you said with a chuckle. "I met him today out on the highway. He needed a ride, and I needed money, so we said hey! Why not travel together? He's giving me—you won't believe this—ten thousand dollars. Ten thousand dollars! Just to take him with me!" You laughed. "Isn't that great?"

"Whoaaa," Mabel said. "That's wild."

"I know, right? Ten thousand dollars? That could cover tuition for a semester. Crazy, right?"

"Yeah, I know," Mabel said, her voice becoming softer, "but, like, (Y/N). Why on earth did you say yes to this guy?"

"Why—?" You stopped, your brow furrowing. "Mabel, I just told you, he's giving me ten thousand dollars. Plus, he really needed help. I mean, it was raining, and the nearest town wasn't for, like, twenty or thirty miles. I couldn't just leave him out there, you know?"

"Yeah, but does that really mean that you gotta take this guy all the way to Wyoming with you? Like, are you really that comfortable having him in your car?"

"Well, yeah, it's just my car, you know," you said. "I've given plenty of people rides back on campus. It's fine! It's not like we're sharing a room or anything," you said, your cheeks warming slightly. "And besides, he's not a bad guy to have around! He's really nice and, well, honestly kind of sort of cute—"