Chapter 1:2

DING-DONG.

The door opened and there stood Walburga Black in all her finery. She smiled, seeing them.

"Nathaniel dear! So good of you to join us. I would have asked Kreacher to open the door, but he was busy getting the dinner sorted" Walburgas' eyes turned to Holly. "Oh and dear Holly! Come in, come in!" She made way for Holly and her brother to enter, and gestured for them to make their way to the lounge. "You two are early, I wasn't really prepared for early guests. Make yourselves comfortable!" she said, sitting down on one of the couches.

"Oh we were just really eager to come, weren't we Holly?"

Holly didn't answer, lost in thought. She couldn't stop thinking about what happened at home, between Nathaniel and dad. Dad. What had happened with dad? She didn't even get a chance to speak to him.

"Holls?" Nathanial repeated, nudging his shoulders with hers.

"Hm? Oh - yeah! We wanted to come early so we could spend time with you on your birthday!"

"Aw, that's so sweet. Would you like tea or biscuits or..?"

"Tea would be fine, thanks." Nate answered, but Holly shook her head. She didn't actually want tea.

"KREACHER!" Walburga bellowed, hoping that he would hear.

With a pop Kreacher landed in front of her.

"Yes Miss Black?"

"Get some tea for our guests. Make it quick"

"Of course Miss Black. Anything for you Miss Black"

With that, Kreacher went off, mumbling to himself, "Kreacher's always happy to assist the black family" .

"Why don't you go upstairs to visit Sirius? I don't think he knows you're here." Walburga eyed Holly carefully, waiting for her response.

Holly nodded once and made her way to the stairs. Nathaniel stood up moments after.

"I have to go out somewhere. So sorry for the inconvenience. I will come in time for dinner don't worry"

Walburga stood up in response, "But what about tea?"

"I'll come back and have some"

Walburga smiled, putting Nate in an embrace. Her lips tickled his ear as she spoke, "I think you and I need to have a chat later".

He pushed back, nodding worrily in response, before making his way towards the fireplace. Walburga's smile disappeared from her face and she made her way out of the room.

****

The Blacks house was one of the largest houses that Holly had been to, the reason she found it difficult to navigate around it. Luckily she had been here most of her life, knowing where everything important was: Sirius' room, the dining hall, the garden, the bathroom and places like that. She had yet half the house to explore but she thought to leave that another time. The staircase walls were filled with framed portraits and moving photos; each one filled with different memories.

As she got nearer the top of the staircase, she could hear two familiar voices.

"Give me that back, Sirius! You great prune!"

"No way Jose - you little cockroach!"

Holly was now in front of the door, not sure whether to knock or wait. Hesitant, she slowly pushed it open, poking her head through.

"Sirius?"

The argument stopped abruptly as both Sirius and his brother, Regulus, turned to look at Holly as she looked in.

"Holly!" Sirius exclaimed, jumping down from his bed and running to give her a hug. He wrapped his arms around her and squeezed her tight.

"Sirius.. Sirius!" she wheezed "I can't breathe"

"Oh sorry," Sirius spoke quickly, kindly taking a step back.

Holly scanned the room to find Regulus staring at her.

"Hi," she said awkwardly.

Regulus just nodded in response, arms crossed against his chest, eyeing her down carefully. His curls were now flicked in front of his face, disheveled. His expression was neutral, like always. His cheeks were red; he had been chasing Sirius. His sleeves were also rolled up just above his elbow, ready to fight. She quickly looked away.

Sirius grabbed her arm and dragged her away from the room. "God I've got so much to tell you!"

****

Sirius was a chatterbox. He always had been. Holly enjoyed the company of Sirius. With him around, she felt all her worries lift off of her chest. That was what best friends were for.

"Are you excited for Hogwarts? We're going to Diagon Alley tomorrow to get all our supplies. Mother says that we have to be prepared so I wrote a list! I mean the letter already listed them out, but I refined it a bit,"

He lifted his pillow and took the piece of parchment from underneath. He handed it to Holly.

Hogwarts school supplies checklist:

- Books include:
Standard book of Spells by Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
Magic Theory by Adalbert Waffling
A beginners Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch.
Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
One thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble
- Pet: Owl
- Robes: 3 sets of plain robes, one plain pointed hat, one pair of protective gloves, one winter cloak
- Wand: the wand chooses the wizard!
- Cauldron
- Telescope
- Scales

Holly skimmed it and put it down next to her. Now she was in a bad mood. How come she couldn't get all this stuff? She had to get the bare minimum and even then it wasn't certain she was getting it anyway. She slumped her chin into her hands.. annoyed.

"Hey.. what's wrong?" Sirius took a seat next to Holly, putting an arm around her.

"I won't be able to get the supplies"

"What?" Sirius was clearly confused. Growing up in the Black family, he would get anything he wanted and more just by asking. His bedroom was full of posters, flags of his favourite quidditch team and all sorts of bits and bobs that Sirius enjoyed playing with. He and Regulus would share a room, often resulting in fights. They would make up eventually and pretend that it didn't even happen. Sirius always insisted on buying her a few things when they went out together, but Holly would always refuse saying she had plenty already.

"Don't worry you can come with us and get them! I know you only have Nate to take you and sometimes he's a bit busy but you can always-"

"It's not that," Holly waved a hand cutting off. "I don't have enough money."

"Oh." Now Sirius realised.

"My mum left us just enough for food and paying for the house. She left the rest up to dad," Holly explained.

Sirius got up so fast, he nearly knocked Holly back.

"I- I have to go do something. Stay here - I won't be long." With that, Sirius turned and left without another word.

Holly tipped over to a lying position, head resting on the pillow. She was tired, she just wanted to take a nap...

Rap-rap-rap.

She jolted up right, causing her head to sway.

Regulus was standing at the door, hands in his pockets. "Dinner's ready," he said, looking at nothing in particular.

"Oh, okay." She was famished. She didn't realise how hungry she was until that moment.

His eyes ran over her face, examining it. Holly could only stare back. Realising what he was doing, Regulus quickly looked away, pivoted around, hurrying away down the stairs.

****