Chapter 1:18

It was Defense Against the Dark Arts. Holly's least favorite subject. She didn't enjoy what they would learn, it was mostly curses, hexes and dark charms. They made her feel uncomfortable; it was also the hardest subject to revise.

"Today," the professor began, writing something on the chalkboard, "We will be learning about Dark Charms..."

"Psst" Holly whispered to Narcissa who was sitting in front of her, "psst"

"What?" Narcissa turned around, annoyed that she was being disturbed.

"The tutor?"

"Seriously Holly? You want to talk about this now?" Narcissa whispered harshly.

She shrugged.

Narcissa turned back round to continue on her work. Holly sighed and rested her chin on her hand.

"Miss Barnes, " The professor had turned so his back was no longer facing her, "Am I boring you?"

Holly quickly sat up, "I- n-no" she stuttered.

"Good"

The Professor turned back round to continue. Holly flicked through her textbook and came across a page which made her stop in her tracks. It read: The Dark Mark

"Psst" Holly began again to Narcissa, "Narcissa"

"We can find you a tutor later!" Narcissa turned around and shouted. Suddenly, all eyes were on her. From embarrassment, she sank back in her seat.

****

"This is what I wanted to show you," Holly spoke as they made their way back to their common room, "Look" and Holly shoved the book into Narcissa's hands.

"Merlin.." Narcissa gasped.

"What? What is it?"

They walked into their common room and sat on the sofa.

"The dark mark," Narcissa ran her fingers over the writing, "I'd always heard of it before, but was never sure what it was," she placed the book down on the table.

"Let me see" Bellatrix whined, pulling the book towards her; she began to read, "The Dark Mark is the symbol of you-know-who,"

"You-know-who?" Holly asked

"Lord Voldemort" Bellatrix answered before she continued, "and his Death Eaters. It refers both to a magically induced brand that every Death Eater bears on his or her inner left forearm."

"What does it look like?" Narcissa questioned.

Bellatrix skimmed the page, "Ah, The Dark Mark appears as a glittering green skull with a snake protruding from its mouth"

Holly shuddered.

"What's going on here ladies?" Lucius had appeared, with Severus at his side.

Bellatrix quickly slammed the book, attempting to hide it in her robes, "N-nothing"

"What's that?" Lucius pointed to the big, bulky thing sticking out from Bella's robes.

"None of your busine- wait actually.." Holly snatched the book from Bella and pulled out the page again, "What do you know about this?"

They walked around the sofas and Severus picked up the book, "Ah, the Dark Mark" and he handed the book to Lucius.

"Have you ever seen one in the sky?" Lucius looked up from the book.

All three of them shook their heads.

"Everyone's worst fear..." and he closed the book and put it back on the table.