Chapter 1:8

The bed curtains added a warm lime-green glow to where she lay. Slowly she plastered her eyes open, squinting to reduce the amount of light that entered her eyes. It reminded Holly of the times where she would crawl into her parents bed early in the morning, watching the sun enter through their window. It was colored glass; a green flower in the middle. She breathed in deeply. A new day had begun. She reached her hand out and ran it over the curtain, noticing how the light pours through every open space between the fibers. The material was warm between her fingers. Shielding her eyes, she pushed the bed curtains  open. She could feel the golden sun rays soak into her skin. She sat up on her bed and stretched and slowly her muscles began to loosen.

"Come on Cissy! You've been in there ages!" A rhythmic banging was coming from the end of the room, followed by Bellatrix's voice. "Hurry up! We're going to be late for breakfast!"

Holly got up and made her way to Bellatrix who was slumped on the floor, back towards the  bathroom door.

"Hey" Holly spoke, rubbing her eyes.

"Hi" Bellatrix responded sulkily, arms crossed.

"What's going on?"

"It's Narcissa. She's taking agesss!"

The door suddenly opened and Bellatrix slammed onto the ground, back first.

"Oh sorry! Didn't see you there!" Narcissa spoke sarcastically, as she stepped over her body.

Bellatrix huffed and slammed the bathroom door behind her.

"Morning" Narcissa nodded in Holly's direction before she made her way towards her bed. "Want to talk about what happened last night?" She started folding her pyjamas and putting them in her draw.

Holly had forgotten about last night and as the realization kicked in, she decided she didn't want to talk about it. It was too much for her. The woman that treated Holly like her own daughter was now neglecting her son for not getting sorted into the right house. This wasn't right.

"Why are houses such a big deal?" Holly had wandered about this question for a while, still unsure.

Narcissa let out a sigh. "The truth is, they don't matter. Not really. What matters are what people are in the houses"

"What do you mean?"

Narcissa sat down on her made bed and patted the spot next to her for Holly to sit.

"I'm talking about their blood"

Holly had made her way around and sat next to Narcissa. She turned to face her, confused.

"Their blood?"

"Yes. Blood matters."

"What about their blood matters?" 

"What blood they are born into"

"I don't get it" Holly was shaking her head, trying to understand.

"All of us: me, Reggie, Lucius, Bella, Sirius and you are pure-blood. This means that we have no muggle blood in our family"

"Muggle blood?"

"Blood which comes from non-magical people. The creator of this house, Salazar Slytherin, wanted a school with no muggle-borns at all. But the other houses disagreed. Our ancestors also believed this: that muggle-borns aren't classified as wizards or witches. Sirius is pure-blood, he should be in Slytherin as all our ancestors were. But he got sorted into Gryffindor, a mixed blood house."

"Oh."

"That's why he is a disgrace. He is in a house with mixed-blood people, something our ancestors and family hated"