Chapter. 14

After two or three hours, I had to go home. I told them that I would, for sure, see them on Sunday. And I did, but Dustfinger was giving me the cold shoulder.
"Farid! Hi!" I yelled, giving him a big hug. I let go of him and faced Dustfinger with out stretched arms. "Dustfinger! I missed-" I went to give him a hug, but he moved away so I couldn't. "Huh? Dustfinger? But. . ." this hasn't happened for awhile. What did I do to make him act like this? I haven't done anything to upset him, I think.
I looked back at Farid, but he looked as shocked as I was.
"Was he acting like this before I came? Would you, by any chance, know why he's acting like he hates me?" Farid shrugged, he had no clue why Dustfinger was giving me the cold shoulder.
"I don't know. . . He just started doing this when you came."
"Dustfinger!" I yelled at him, turning him to face me. "What's wrong with you? Why are you acting like this. . . I haven't done anything and I didn't start this, so why are you acting as though I started this?!"
He got to my level and he still smelled like fire. He must be doing tricks with it.
"Why don't you try asking your new crush? And don't say he isn't because you haven't been all over me like you used to be." Dustfinger whispered.
My mouth just fell open. How could he think that now I love Farid more then him now. I do love Farid more then I did when I first met him, but I don't love him more then Dustfinger!
"What are you talking about? You are being a Baka right now!"
"What does that even mean?"
"That your an idiot!" I screamed in his face. I don't know why, but with him talking, I just wish he would shut up or leave or even that I had never met him. I now didn't want to talk or even see him anymore. So, I marched off back to Mawmaws. When I got home that night, I was a grump. I couldn't sleep, though.
Between three and four in the morning, though, I grabbed INKSPELL and started reading the part when Orpheus read Dustfinger home. But, of course, I read it aloud, only loud enough for me to hear, but not to wake anyone up. After I read that part alone, I finally went to sleep.
Thursday night, we went to Mawmaws and since I've read the book, I have been a lot happier, so I went to see them. Farid and Dustfinger. I first looked at the baseball Diamond, wasn't there. Then, looked at the deer stand, not there either. I then looked at the place where they sleep and there is where I found Farid, but when he looked up at me, his eyes were red and puffy, while his face was tear stained.
He had been crying.
I ran over to him and gave him a big hug, he was still crying. I smoothed his hair and shushed him for comfort the best I could.
"Hey. . . You're fine, you're okay. . . What's wrong?" I slowly pulled away, wiping away his tears. It looked like his tears hadn't stopped since whatever it was happened.
"He. . . He's gone!"
"What do you mean?"
"Dustfinger. . . I went to sleep with him here, but when I woke up. . . He was gone! He left Gwin and his bag and even the bear you got for him and the book, too!" Farid cried.
He couldn't have just left Farid, Gwin and his stuff behind. Unless. . . I felt like crying, too when I remembered.
"Farid. . . I. . . I'm so sorry. . . It's all my fault." I felt tear drops run down my cheeks.
"Lexi. . . What do you mean?"
"This morning, I kinda read the part in INKSPELL where Orpheus read Dustfinger back into his story. . . I didn't mean to! I was mad and I didn't think anything of it! I'm so sorry. . ." I cried.
I didn't know what to do. I thought  of something. I took my backpack off and took out INKDEATH. I turned it right to page 234, chapter 27.
" 'Roxane. . .' The marten shot past her. It couldn't be true. The dead did not come back, even when they promised they would. But the figure emerging from the shadows near the stables was so very familiar. Gwin hissed when he saw the other marten sitting on his masters shoulder. 'Roxane.' He spoke her name as if he wanted to savor it on his tongue, like something he hadn't tasted in a long time. It was a dream, one of the dreams she had almost every night. Dreams in which she saw his face so clearly that she touched it in her sleep, and the next day her fingers still remembered his skin. Even when he put his arms around her, carefully, as if he wasn't sure whether he had forgotten how to hold her, she didn't move - because her hands did not believe they could hold him again. But her eyes could see him. Her ears could hear him breathing. Her skin felt his, as warm as if the fire were inside him, after he had been so terribly cold. He had kept his promise. And even if he was coming to her only in a dream, it was better then nothing. . . So much better. 'Roxane! Look at me. Look at me.' He took her face between his hands, caressed her cheek, wiped away the tears she so often felt on her skin when she woke. And only then did she draw him close to her, let her hands tell her that she wasn't just embracing a ghost. It couldn't be true. She wept as she pressed her face to his. She wanted to hit him for having left her for the boys sake, for all the pain she had already felt on his account, so much pain, but her heart gave her away. 'What is it?' He kissed her once more. the scars. They were gone, as if the white women had washed them away before sending him back to life. She took his hands and laid them against his cheeks. 'Well, who'd have thought it!' He said, stroking his own skin with his fingers as if it were a strangers. 'They've really gone! Basta wouldn't like that at all.' Why had they let him go? Who had paid the price for him, as he had paid for the boy? Why did she ask? He was back. That was all that mattered, back from the place from which there was no return. Where all others were. Her daughter, the father of her son, Cosimo. . . So many dead. But he had come back. Even if she saw in his eyes that, this time, he had been so far away that something of him was still left there. 'How long will you stay this time?' She whispered. He did not answer at once. Gwin rubbed his head against his neck and looked at him, as if he, too, wanted to know the answer. 'As long as death allows.' He replied at last, and placed her hand on his beating heart. 'What does that mean?' She whispered. But he closed her mouth with a kiss." I read almost the whole chapter.